Author Topic: DeepScreen is insane  (Read 6143 times)

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
DeepScreen is insane
« on: November 26, 2013, 07:14:15 PM »
All of the sudden,DeepScreen has scanned plugin-container.exe in Pale Moon and excluded it.
For the love of God,plugin-container.exe is a part of Firefox and Firefox based browsers since
I don't know how many years.
Lately,I am not happy with Avast at all.

Edit:
Quote from the GUI: The DeepScreen technology allows avast! to make better real-time decisions when unknown file is executed.
plugin-container.exe unknown file ?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 07:34:49 PM by abruptum »

PamJ

Re: DeepScreen is insane
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 07:33:23 PM »
I turned DeepScan off the first day I had the avast! Free upgrade. It was scanning everything I opened, even programs I open every day. And sometimes that would lock up auto-starting programs and I've have to reboot the computer. It looked like one particular program it was causing the most problems with was in the exception list for DeepScan but it kept scanning it anyway.

thekochs

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 07:44:20 PM »
I turned DeepScan off the first day I had the avast! Free upgrade. It was scanning everything I opened, even programs I open every day. And sometimes that would lock up auto-starting programs and I've have to reboot the computer. It looked like one particular program it was causing the most problems with was in the exception list for DeepScan but it kept scanning it anyway.

How/Where is DeepScan turned off ?.....please capture screen shot.
I find reading all these problem threads that the solution is to turn things off.......DeepScan, Online Security, Firewall, Outlook Webshield.
If it was not so discouraging I would laugh that if all of Avast's "features" are turned off why have installed ?
I'm still on V8 waiting this V9 nightmare to be over.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 07:47:53 PM »
Just add the file to the "deepscreen" exclusion list. Warning...do this only if you are positive it is safe.
GUI>Settings>Antivirus>scroll down to "exclusions"

@ PamJ  Please start your own thread.
@ the kochs  You will find the deepscreen setting on the settings screen.  8)

edit: @ PamJ  Try a repair...Control Panel>Uninstall a Program>double click "avast">click "repair">reboot.  :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 08:16:44 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

PamJ

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 09:02:26 PM »
Para-noid, I don't need to start a new thread on this. I was just commenting that I, too, am having a DeepScreen issue,  but not asking for help. Don't like turning stuff off, but right now that's my answer to it because the program IS in DeepScreen's exclusion list and it still scans it. And it's a program I've used for eons. I'll figure it out later or just leave DeepScreen off. (It's not my biggest issue now--and yes, I started a thread on THAT problem already, too ;) ). I'm probably going back to an earlier version anyway because of all these issues. (Received help on how to do this in another thread I started a few days ago; not asking how to do it here.  ;) )

(thekochs...you can turn off DeepScreen through settings---antivirus. There's a box you can uncheck to disable it)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 09:08:21 PM by PamJ »

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 09:03:40 PM »
I've also had a few instances of the DeepScreen appearing where you would not expect it.
For example, one-off appearances while uninstalling a legitimate program.  Apparently,
the uninstaller triggered it.

What is the idea of behind DeepScreen?  The programs I've seen that activate it eventually continue.
Why is DeepScreen activated?  Is it because the programs have no "reputation" ?
There are always going to be programs that are not seen before that they are not recognized.

Is it based on some heuristic, something related to the behavior of the running program?

I can understand avast! trying to develop something like this, in my mind traditional AV has always been useless
against zero-day attacks.  Some people have to "suffer" until the AV company can add the pattern to it's database.

AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 09:21:48 PM »
Para-noid, I don't need to start a new thread on this. I was just commenting that I, too, am having a DeepScreen issue,  but not asking for help. Don't like turning stuff off, but right now that's my answer to it because the program IS in DeepScreen's exclusion list and it still scans it. And it's a program I've used for eons. I'll figure it out later or just leave DeepScreen off. (It's not my biggest issue now--and yes, I started a thread on THAT problem already, too ;) ). I'm probably going back to an earlier version anyway because of all these issues. (Received help on how to do this in another thread I started a few days ago; not asking how to do it here.  ;) )

(thekochs...you can turn off DeepScreen through settings---antivirus. There's a box you can uncheck to disable it)

Wouldn't it be better to fix it than to ignore it?
Disabling deepscreen is not going to fix anything.

What are/were the files being deepscreened?
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 10:20:45 PM »
@Para-Noid

DeepScreen already excluded plugin-container.exe and everything is fine.
Problem is why plugin-container.exe was scanned when it is a known file ?

PamJ

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 11:43:52 PM »
Fixing is better than ignoring for sure. But my main problem is the issue with Outlook. If that isn't cleared up soon, the DeepScreen issue won't matter because I'll be going back to an earlier version of avast! Free. (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=140959.0)

I'll turn DeepScreen on again and see if there are issues with anything else (maybe it fixed itself?). The computer I'm on right now is the one I restored back to before I updated (due to the Outlook issue) so it no longer has the newest program update. The new computer still has avast! Free 2014.9.0.2008...for the time being anyway.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 11:59:02 PM »
@ PamJ  Is your Super Anti-Spyware on-demand or resident (Pro)?
              Any other security software? Firewall, etc.?  ???
              I'm trying to cover all of the bases that's all.

PamJ

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 04:37:52 AM »
The program it kept scanning is Active Words, which loads when the computer starts. I turned DeepScreen back on and after it "did its scanning thing" two more times on that one particular program (adding different aspects of that program automatically to its exclusion list), it stopped scanning Active Words at start-up. So looks like that's taken care of.  (SAS is not resident.) Thanks!