Author Topic: I may have solved Outlook mail sending issue?  (Read 16924 times)

thekochs

Re: I may have solved Outlook mail sending issue?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 05:15:44 PM »
Pam,

You're right, my outgoing mail port is, indeed, port 80.  What kind of cockamamie crap is that!?!?  SMTP has been port 25 since, approximately, the beginning of time; while HTTP has been port 80.

I am no expert but the "web shield" port and email server "port" are not that same thing.
Hopefully Avast Team member will clarify but turning off web shield or disabling port 80 is not a good solution....it opens you up.
Once you have time to do the uninstall, clean re-install perhaps this may work...I doubt it but 100% would try this first.
You can also try Pam's suggestion of clicking "Settings" -> "Active Protection" -> "Web Shield" (click the gear symbol on the right) -> then while in the Main Settings window put a check mark in the "Scan traffic from well known browser processes only".  Again, not sure how much this opens you up but most definitely less than removing port 80.

Outlook definitely has an issue in current program rev of Avast 9.

RobGD3

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 07:56:23 PM »
Thekochs,

yeah...I've done the "well known browser processes" check box, and it's working that way, regardless of which port I tell Outlook to use.

I'm with you on the reinstall..I don't have a lot of faith in it solving the problem, but, it's definitely a step to take (especially since Avast Tech support are advising it).  If it doesn't work, hopefully they'll go to the next step in the problem-solving process.  If it does work, well...then, maybe they can fix whatever is changing during the upgrade so future upgraders don't run into the issue.

thanks,
..rob

PamJ

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 03:05:46 AM »
Now that I know a bit more (mainly from help here), I agree that removing port 80 in avast! Free under Troubleshooting/web ports is a bad idea.  Since the web shield is what seems to be blocking Outlook's attempts to send email (not the email shield) and when I change Outlook's outgoing server port FROM 80 back to 25, it then works, I would think it would have to be something related to port 80 and the avast's web shield configuration. Since port 25 stopped working for me before on my server, it might start suddenly not working again. Avast needs to figure this out.

When I unchecked "well-known browser processes" and change the port back to 25 in Outlook, it works for me (at least for now). I had changed the outgoing email port to 80 in Outlook about six months ago when I couldn't send mail through Outlook. Working with my host/server, they suggested changing it to one of the other accepted ports, so I chose 80, not knowing it made any difference.

Rob, please post and let us know what happens when you do the reinstall. If I do a reinstall, it'll probably be back to the previous version of avast! Free  ;). At least avast techs have gotten back to you with some suggestions. Not so for me yet.

Oh, Rob, my website host/email etc., is ultimately owned by GoDaddy, even though it has another name. So the same ports are listed for me as outgoing (SMTP) ports as you listed.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 04:09:17 AM by PamJ »

RobGD3

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 03:38:09 PM »
Just completed the uninstall/reinstall evolution....and....no difference in operation.

Avast! support recommended using their uninstaller (Avast Clear); and deleting any program files/folders found after that.  Then reinstalling the latest version (linked in the email) with default options.

Upon installation, I now have a nifty desktop gadget for Avast that I didn't have before, but, emails still don't sent, and still fail with a timeout error.  Checking the "well known browser processes" box allows email to be sent per normal.

I'll respond to my ticket, and see where we go for the next step.  Avast! has 20 days till my subscription expires to get this fixed, before I'll renew my subscription for another year, personally.

Cheers,
..rob

PamJ

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 05:44:27 PM »
I just received a suggestion from avast regarding my ticket.

"I would recommend you to try the new beta version build.

The new avast! version 2014 R2 BETA1 is currently in Beta testing phase, if you would like to install this version and/or fix any major issue, which is resolved in beta release description, please follow this link."

A beta version build? What does THAT mean? Isn't that basically an untested version build? I could end up with more problems than I originally had with this one.

I will say that most of the problems I originally had have resolved. For example, I had no popups or voice regarding virus database updates and some programs I load everyday were being scanned by avast! each time I opened them. These are fixed. But although I have been able to successfully change the Outlook outgoing port to 25 and it works that way for me, it needs to be fixed by avast! to allow the use of 80 when you can't use anything else.

Rob, I hear you. I'd have to leave too (or go back to an earlier version) if I wasn't able to change back to port 25. It worked fine for me on version 8 using port 80 for Outlooks outgoing mail, so avast should be able to make it so the current version works as well.

nogeeks.org

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 01:07:54 AM »
Open Settings, then open Troubleshooting. Under Redirect Settings, add Port 80 to the list of SMTP ports (should read 25,80,587).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:13:20 AM by nogeeks.org »

RobGD3

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 03:01:48 PM »
Hi, nogeeks,

Sounds like a pretty reasonable fix. 

Just gave it a whirl.  Added port 80 to that redirect line as you suggested.  Then, unchecked the "well known browsers processes" check box that had been turned on below.

And...Outlook failed to send email; with a timeout error again.

So, while that seems pretty reasonable...and makes a whole bunch of sense...it didn't seem to fix the issue.

Thanks for the suggestion.

..rob

PamJ

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 06:27:41 PM »
I had tried that too, Rob, a while back. Never mentioned it, though, since it didn't work for me either. But it was a good suggestion, for sure.

boy_from_oz

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 10:32:58 AM »
I have exactly the same issue on Outlook 2007 since upgrading AIS to program version 2014.9.0.2008 yesterday.....

I hate the way you update then it regularly screws mail for a week or two, seriously Avast - why can't you regression check your software a bit better?

A very annoyed,

Matthew

rioave

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 10:56:15 PM »
het probleem  voor het verzenden van een mail doet zich nog steeds voor in de versie van 2014.
is hier inmiddels een goede oplossing voor ?