Author Topic: [Warning] AV IS 2014 firewall bugged  (Read 24320 times)

propheticus

[Warning] AV IS 2014 firewall bugged
« on: November 28, 2013, 10:25:36 PM »
Even though some of the blocked network sharing issues have been fixed in the recent 9.0.2007 version, the firewall still appears to be riddled with bugs.
If you recently upgraded from Avast IS 8 to 9 (2014) or from Avast Free to Internet security and you are experiences strange problems, try uninstalling the firewall part. Be sure to enable Window's firewall or another 3rd party's!!

Here's a couple of the problems that people encounter:
What strikes me as perculiar is the amount of people that upgraded from free to IS that suddenly had problems. The main difference between these two? A firewall!

Before you remove the firewall, manually upgrade the Avast Program to the newest version (9.0.2011) or perform a repair to see if that fixes your issue.

Update:
  • Double click avast icon
  • Choose 'settings'
  • Navigate to Update -> Program -> click 'update'
Repair installation:
  • In Windows go to start -> control panel -> programs -> programs and features
  • Select Avast and click "Uninstall/Change"
  • Select the repair tab and click continue
  • Wait till done ...reboot
Only remove the firewall when this fails to solve your problem.

Steps to remove the firewall:
  • go to programs and features in Windows
    • select Avast! and click 'uninstall/change'
  • choose the 'change' tab and continue
  • untick firewall from the 'tools' column and continue
  • wait ... done
  • be sure to at least enable the Windows firewall (might need a reboot before)
IF you've already removed Avast (and used aswclear) and wan't to install again, you can also choose to perform a custom installation and untick the firewall. This way you don't have to remove it afterwards.

*last edit: added more examples of problems caused by firewall
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 12:12:33 AM by propheticus »

renedes

Re: [Warning] AV IS 2014 (firewall) bugged
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 12:59:23 PM »
I have upgraded to the last AVAST version and lost my internet connection since then. It says Firewall cannot be started, but it stops all other actions as well. Can you help me returning to a state where I can at least have access again. I have submitted a ticket to AVAst support.
#ZFQ-427-82783

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 01:05:06 PM »
tried avast repair and reboot?

controlpanel > ad/remove programs > avast > uninstall/change > repair option ....wait aminute and reboot

renedes

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 05:30:59 PM »
Thanks. The "repair" did not work. But I tried "change", which allowed me to take the firewall feature off Avast. I did get an Internet connection now, without a firewall. But now at least I can go on the Internet to check for a solution.  So long, thanks. Rene 

propheticus

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 11:35:14 PM »
Hey Rene,

Good to see my tip at least helped you get your internet back. It's not a pretty solution, but for now it's the best we (the user) can do. Luckily the Windows (7/8) firewall is pretty good.

More examples of the firewall being bugged:

« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 11:43:39 PM by propheticus »

mhajicek

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 12:43:58 AM »
Thanks for the tip, with avast firewall off all seems to be ok again......i hope. How could anyone released so bad code?

Offline drake127

• Avast team
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 05:31:50 AM »
Is somebody with this issue able to verify which aswNdis* entries are present in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services registry key?

avast! 2014:
Windows XP and Vista should see aswNdis and aswNdis2.
Windows 7+ should have just aswNdisFlt.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 05:37:39 AM by drake127 »

propheticus

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 08:08:02 PM »
I guess this is only valid for people that have still got the Avast firewall installed? I haven't and haven't got an aswNdisFlt entry (win 8.1)

New addition to list of problems:
Vuze and/or JAVA blocked: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=137309.0

edit: I installed a complete 2009r2 (all components) after removing/cleaning 2008 to see if the issue was solved. I did have an aswNdisFlt service and registry entry. The problem still existed, so I removed the firewall again.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:34:30 AM by propheticus »

Offline drake127

• Avast team
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 02:28:26 AM »
Sure, these are firewall entries (possible related to the internet connection issue). If you have none, you don't have firewall installed.

Offline Andrey,pro

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Things happen
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 09:36:34 PM »
Hi drake127,

Some users confirmed the issue with sound crackling in AIS. How to solve this bug with firewall?
You can watch video with this issue here: http://youtu.be/1JkdnSrZqRI

propheticus

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 09:58:42 PM »
That's a nice example of the problem I was having and described in this thread.

If updating or repairing Avast does not help, you can try following the steps I outlined in the opening post under "Steps to remove the firewall". Do this, reboot and re-enable windows firewall if it was turned off. Now check your sound again.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:00:52 PM by propheticus »

lexus232

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 12:08:58 AM »
Hi drake127,

Some users confirmed the issue with sound crackling in AIS. How to solve this bug with firewall?
You can watch video with this issue here: http://youtu.be/1JkdnSrZqRI
Hey I have this problem too! I thought it was hardware related issue because even after I turn off my avast issue still persists. This issue doesn't persist all the time, it just appears randomly throughout the day and disappears later.
I am as well having issue with avast suddenly blocking all websites except google.com that I have described in this thread http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=141973.0

propheticus

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 12:54:58 AM »
Could you try removing the Avast firewall like explained in the OP and report back if that helps? In my experience simply turning shields off does not help, removing does.

lexus232

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 07:00:31 AM »
Could you try removing the Avast firewall like explained in the OP and report back if that helps? In my experience simply turning shields off does not help, removing does.
I have removed avast webshiled and avast firewall. I will let you know tomorrow whether it has fixed issues.
Meanwhile I am using built-in windows 7 firewall.

Offline Andrey,pro

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Things happen
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 07:30:38 AM »
That's a nice example of the problem I was having and described in this thread.

If updating or repairing Avast does not help, you can try following the steps I outlined in the opening post under "Steps to remove the firewall". Do this, reboot and re-enable windows firewall if it was turned off. Now check your sound again.
Hi,

I've already seen your topic and of course removing firewall will solve sound problem, we have already tried to use the latest beta but still no luck. And both users with this issue have windows 8.1 installed. 

Hey I have this problem too! I thought it was hardware related issue because even after I turn off my avast issue still persists. This issue doesn't persist all the time, it just appears randomly throughout the day and disappears later.
Same here, users say that it appears only after 2-3 hours after turning PC on.