Author Topic: Updated with NO interaction from me?  (Read 8520 times)

Offline Xanadu

Updated with NO interaction from me?
« on: November 29, 2013, 01:09:14 AM »
I came in from Thanksgiving dinner to see the "reboot to complete installation" screen.  What?  No option to install custom, no option to tell it NO I don't want 2014.  Just took over and did it on its own.  Hey Avast it isn't your computer.  Its mine.  I know it had a program update.  God knows it sent up a popup 10 times a day that a new version was out.  I had automatically update program UNchecked.  Just stream the definition updates.  But it just did whatever it wanted.  The new user interface is messy and hard to read with the text on the black.  I have no clue where any settings are anymore.   At least I could stop it from installing Chrome yet again. 

When the update program is not checked, WHY does it do it anyway?  There are reasons I did not update the program - like the pages of issues with 2014 that are on this forum.  Even Microsoft just tells me there are updates and lets me choose when to do it.  I was not happy to see that it had already done its thing when I was not even in the room.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Updated with NO interaction from me?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 01:34:17 AM »
You did allowed avast to automatically check for updates and install them or this wouldn't have happened. or you did initiated a manual update yourself.

The new gui isn't messy at all.
Hard to read? That depends on your eye sight.
Sure, you will have to spend a little time to get used to the new gui but that is all.
If you like the looks of it or not is just a personal opinion.
One can't please all.

You can't prevent Chrome from installing unless you have chosen for a custom install.

How much did you drink at the dinner?  ;)

Offline drake127

• Avast team
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 02:44:27 AM »
I think I need to explain this one so we can hopefully avoid another fiasco like with previous EmUpdate. Although I cannot explain the issue in detail, I can say that we had very few options in this regard and had to forcibly update some of our users to avast! 2014.

This can only happen if you use Windows 8 as Microsoft identified issues with its updates related to avast!. You can imagine they were very adamant and the only option given to us was to update the affected users to avast! 2014 (specifically to build 2014.9.0.2008 or higher). Builds 2014.9.0.2006 and 2014.9.0.2007 should have already received the necessary fix by EmUpdate, so no action is necessary there.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused, the affected users should have received information pop-up about necessity of the update few days back to allow them to update on their leisure but it just wasn't enough.

If you are worried about Chrome offer, you can easily untick those offers in "Complete" screen after a system reboot.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 03:05:20 AM by drake127 »

Offline MrMaxaMan

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 02:47:49 AM »
The same thing happened to me and I'm using Windows 7.
Avast Free 20.3.2405 - Comodo 12.2.2.7036 Firewall with D+ - Winpatrol Free.
On demand - MBAM - Super Antispyware.
Windows 10 64bit - 16GB Ram.

thekochs

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 02:53:19 AM »
You can't prevent Chrome from installing unless you have chosen for a custom install.

Avast will force-ably install Chrome ? I know in past there was popup screen after reboot that you could uncheck Chrome to not install.
This thread said it gives you the option to not install: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=133896.msg984234#msg984234
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 02:56:21 AM by thekochs »

Offline drake127

• Avast team
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 03:03:47 AM »
The same thing happened to me and I'm using Windows 7.
I checked and rechecked the EmUpdate(20131126) and there has to be different explanation for your issue. Are you sure you don't have automatic program updates set? When did it happen to you? Do you remember what version you had? Versions over 8.0.1500 are updated automatically. The latest publicly available avast! 8 is 8.0.1497.

Avast will force-ably install Chrome ? I know in past there was popup screen after reboot that you could uncheck Chrome to not install. This thread said it gives you the option to not install: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=133896.msg984234#msg984234
It's still the same. Additionally, in avast! 2014 you get to choose even in regular installation and paying users are not offered anything at all.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 03:22:19 AM »
Thanks for your time and explanations.
Appreciated here. :)

thekochs

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 03:25:18 AM »
Thanks for your time and explanations.
Appreciated here. :)

2nd that....seeing Avast Team folks sure helps.

Offline Xanadu

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 03:32:21 AM »
I am running Windows 8.  No the option to have it automatically update was not checked, but after reading your explanation I do see why it happened now.   No I did not get the custom install option  as it was done before I knew what happened and the Chrome check box was on the complete screen.  I am not an idiot - I knew I had not authorized it to push updates...I usually wait till the bugs are worked out because it causes major issues on some machines...

ram1220

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 11:47:55 PM »
Well I deleted the emupdate off of my computer since Avast would never tell us what it was or why it was there. I am still on version 8 of Avast and do not want 2014 at all. If my system is so called upgraded to 2014 without me doing it I will uninstall Avast and never look back. And it will never be placed on another computer I build or fix. My computer belongs to me. Not to Avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 01:28:08 PM »
Well I deleted the emupdate off of my computer since Avast would never tell us what it was or why it was there. I am still on version 8 of Avast and do not want 2014 at all. If my system is so called upgraded to 2014 without me doing it I will uninstall Avast and never look back. And it will never be placed on another computer I build or fix. My computer belongs to me. Not to Avast.
You're always free to move on and to come back. The emupdate is a security/stability function that allows avast! to correct anything goes wrong on avast! installation. There is no secret.
The best things in life are free.

ram1220

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 01:43:30 AM »
You're always free to move on and to come back. The emupdate is a security/stability function that allows avast! to correct anything goes wrong on avast! installation. There is no secret.

That's what you say. But I have version 8. And I refuse to update to 2014. Please explain why emupdate was even placed on my computer if it is used only for installation purposes? Something still smells fishy to me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 09:47:30 PM »
That's what you say. But I have version 8. And I refuse to update to 2014. Please explain why emupdate was even placed on my computer if it is used only for installation purposes? Something still smells fishy to me.
1. It for emergency actions on avast! repair and installation.
2. There is nothing fishy here. If you do not trust avast!, why are you using version 8 at all?
The best things in life are free.

ram1220

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 12:13:50 AM »
1. It for emergency actions on avast! repair and installation.
2. There is nothing fishy here. If you do not trust avast!, why are you using version 8 at all?

1. My Avast 8 was already installed and running fine. Again if it's just for install then why was it placed on my computer? Fishy to me.
2. I still like Version 8 unlike 2014. Version 8 works. But I am losing my trust in Avast very quickly.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 07:52:22 AM »
Well...Tech did say that emupdate is used for repairs.

Repairs are for scenarios whereby an important issue is found in Avast! antivirus installed on your machine, causing its malfunction. Avast! will push a hotfix via emupdate to repair your Avast! antivirus so that it can continue to protect you.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 07:54:14 AM by AntiVirusASeT »