Author Topic: Some Facebook apps no longer working with Avast 2014 in Firefox  (Read 3801 times)

belmartian

Some Facebook apps no longer working with Avast 2014 in Firefox
« on: November 19, 2013, 03:38:18 AM »
Seems strange, but a few Facebook apps (World Series of Poker is one of them) no longer loads with the new Avast program in Firefox.  The Facebook apps load in IE (ugh) and in Chrome, but I prefer to use Firefox.  Anyone else having this problem?    I checked this on my kid's computer as well.  The apps worked with the older version of Avast, but when updated to the new Avast version, they no longer worked in Firefox. 

olddog

Re: Some Facebook apps no longer working with Avast 2014 in Firefox
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 03:46:37 AM »
Seems strange, but a few Facebook apps (World Series of Poker is one of them) no longer loads with the new Avast program in Firefox.  The Facebook apps load in IE (ugh) and in Chrome, but I prefer to use Firefox. 

Try turning off Ad blocking and/or the Social network tracking directly above it.

belmartian

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 04:07:11 AM »
Good suggestion.  I tried that yesterday and it did not work.  Just tried it again (closed down Firefox and opened it again as well).  No luck. 

Offline Sorzy

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 06:58:06 AM »
Well, seeing the option to also install Google Chrome with program updates, and in the newest version and layout and options, and in trouble shooting seeing the option to check or not check the box labeled Do not use Chrome as Avast default browser, raises a couple things for me.

The first, and this is my opinion, I wonder if Avast isn't now made to work better with Chrome?

The second, since the box on my end is not currently checked, and since I'm using Firefox 25.0.1, and with the way this is worded, Do not use Chrome as avast default browser, should the box be checked because as I said, I'm running Firefox and because of how it's worded? Ask me, I don't know. I'm just a user. OR would Guinea Pig a better description?

UserA789

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 07:00:13 AM »
Have you tried changing your Avast! setup to NOT install the 'Avast! Online Security' Module?  Try that and see if that helps.

Do this throught the Windows Control Panel--->Programs And Features--->Avast!

Choose "Change" from the Avast Uninstall utility that starts up at that point.

olddog

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 07:25:28 AM »
The second, since the box on my end is not currently checked, and since I'm using Firefox 25.0.1, and with the way this is worded, Do not use Chrome as avast default browser, should the box be checked because as I said, I'm running Firefox and because of how it's worded?

Sorzy,
Whilst it's possibly not on topic for this thread, I find the wording of that box hard to understand. I personally didn't install Chrome, so having a box which is NOT ticked by default saying "Do not use Chrome as the Avast default Browser" doesn't make a lot of sense, however with the thought that Avast might try to use what isn't there, I've ticked it just in case.  Would help if there was some up to date instructions available.

belmartian

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 04:13:32 PM »
I'm reluctant to make changes to Avast as that would seem to give me less protection.  I can access these apps in Chrome so this is not a critical problem (well, when I lose fictional poker chips it's a problem).  This sounds like some sort of interface issue with Firefox that may not be limited to just Facebook apps.  Thought it would be helpful for the developers to know about this.

belmartian

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 06:43:38 PM »
Happy to report that as of this morning (Thanksgiving Day here in the U.S.), the problem seems to have resolved.  Facebook apps now working in Firefox.

belmartian

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 04:48:55 PM »
And the day after Thanksgiving, the problem is back.  Oh well, back to using Chrome.