Author Topic: reboot after reboot after reboot...  (Read 32881 times)

nexus

reboot after reboot after reboot...
« on: October 08, 2003, 10:40:47 PM »
Hi,

I upgraded to version 4.1.280, both on a desktop and laptop, running Win XP Pro.
Every time I start one of these computers, an Avast message box pops up, saying I should reboot my system ( yes - no ). And again.... and again... and again.....  Fairly annoying this is...

This is completely new, never seen this before. No other programs installed recently, besides latest Microsoft IExplorer patches (Win is fully up-to-date).

Does anyone know what the heck is going on? Avast needs a new build?

Thanks alot,
Nex.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:reboot after reboot after reboot...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 10:57:10 PM »
Is there a file called reboot.txt somewhere in the avast installation folder? (setup subdirectory, maybe)
If yes, does it help when you delete it?

kubecj

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 11:15:54 PM »
Nexus, this is strange. Are your XPs sometimes hanging on the shutdown?

I would like to get your logs.
Can you, please, run from the command-line program ashbug.exe /setuplog

That will send us the logs.

thanks,

nexus

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 12:43:20 AM »

Hi,

Just sent the setup logs to you.

Furthermore, I tried to solve the problem by deleting the reboot.txt from the \SETUP folder (I first checked to see what was inside: empty .TXT file).

Then something funny happens: after deletion, I manually reboot. First, Avast shows the blue info box to the right: info about the new 4.1.278 version! Either clicking or ignoring, the "reboot Y/N" box appears again! So, deleting reboot.txt does not do the trick. On the contrary, a new (blank)  REBOOT.TXT file has been created into the \SETUP folder!?

Maybe this has something to do with it all?
Thanks for all the co-thinking work you people are doing!  :)

Nex

nexus

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2003, 12:45:21 AM »

PS: my XPs are functioning really nice (how about that for a change  ;) )
<IF> they freeze, very very rarely, it turns out to be some ADSL problem with routers etc...

techie101

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2003, 12:57:05 AM »
nexus,

You have me a little confused.  You started the thread saying you had problems with Avast 280 and XP.

but then your last post said they were working nicely.

What did you do to fix the reboot problem?
I have also had rebooting troubles which have not been resolved as yet.....even with build 280.

nexus

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2003, 01:05:12 AM »

Hi,
My last reply was only a reaction to the previous question: is WinXP giving you problems during shutdown? Well, it is not.  In my first posting I only mentioned XP Pro since that might ring a bell to others, should version 280 have known problems with XP. And frankly, I don't believe this to be a WinXP problem, since they arose after an Avast update.

Regards & hope your problems will be solved too  :-\
nex

kubecj

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2003, 01:11:27 AM »
From the logs it seems that avast tries to update three files in windows\system32 directory:

MSVCI70.dll
MSVCP70.dll
MSVCR70.dll

All three files should be dated 5.1.2002, their fileversion 7.0.9466.0

From the report it seems you're using files version 7.0.9447.0 - older.

Avast tries to overwrite them, it fails (because other programs use them), so it sets them 'after the reboot'.

So, let avast do that again, reboot and check fileversion of the three dlls, please.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2003, 01:16:11 AM »
From the logs it seems that avast tries to update three files in windows\system32 directory:

MSVCI70.dll
MSVCP70.dll
MSVCR70.dll

All three files should be dated 5.1.2002, their fileversion 7.0.9466.0

I confirm what kubecj said... Everything is ok  ;D
The best things in life are free.

nexus

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2003, 01:29:07 AM »

Hi,
I let Avast (try to) update them again. I then checked the versions of these files. They *remain* old / not updated. No version 7.0.9466.0 but 7.0.9447.0 instead.  

Ewwwwmmmm...maybe a stupid question, but how can I manually upgrade those DLLs ?

Tanks,
nex

kubecj

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2003, 01:50:54 AM »
Really? did you reboot and they stayed there? No messages about windows returning old files back? Can you check EventLog for suspicious messages?

Manually putting them there is hard - you have to turn off all the programs which may be using there.

Or overwrite before windows boot, but since you're on XP's...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2003, 03:20:14 AM »
Really? did you reboot and they stayed there? No messages about windows returning old files back? Can you check EventLog for suspicious messages?

Manually putting them there is hard - you have to turn off all the programs which may be using there.

Vlk, if he does not succeed, I suggest you let him download these files from the Alwil webpage. He must boot with the Windows Console on XP to change the dll (if closing/killing all applications does not allow the access to these files)

Luck...  ;)

kubecj

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2003, 03:32:33 AM »
The files are already on his computer...

Quoting from the log:
22:29:56 vrb/fil  MoveFileEx(C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSV24.tmp, C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSVCI70.dll)
22:29:56 vrb/fil  MoveFileEx(C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSV25.tmp, C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSVCP70.dll)
22:29:56 vrb/fil  MoveFileEx(C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSV26.tmp, C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSVCR70.dll)

These records tell windows to rename files *.tmp to their *.dll counterparts. This fails for an unknown reason on that computer. I wonder if the tempfiles stay there?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2003, 03:41:30 AM »
The files are already on his computer...

Quoting from the log:
22:29:56 vrb/fil  MoveFileEx(C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSV24.tmp, C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSVCI70.dll)
22:29:56 vrb/fil  MoveFileEx(C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSV25.tmp, C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSVCP70.dll)
22:29:56 vrb/fil  MoveFileEx(C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSV26.tmp, C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSVCR70.dll)

These records tell windows to rename files *.tmp to their *.dll counterparts. This fails for an unknown reason on that computer. I wonder if the tempfiles stay there?

Try to turn off the System Restoration and update avast! Maybe it works...  :'(

nexus

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2003, 10:42:07 AM »
Hi,
Good morning! (i.e. from The Netherlands  :)).
Thanks for your help so far. To get back to your questions:

Really? did you reboot and they stayed there? No messages about windows returning old files back? Can you check EventLog for suspicious messages? Manually putting them there is hard - you have to turn off all the programs which may be using there.

Yes, I did reboot, but Win did not come up with such a message. No messages concerning that whatsoever. The DLLs  remain at their old versions.

Quoting from the log:
These records tell windows to rename files *.tmp to their *.dll counterparts.
This fails for an unknown reason on that computer. I wonder if the tempfiles stay there?

As a matter of fact, in my \SYSTEM32-folder there are alot of MSV??.tmp files. An yes, the above do exist in this folder. Their "date modified" stands at 01/05/2002  (huh?) but the creation dat is 10/08/2003 which should be fine. All of these .tmp files have only the "a"rchive attribute.

I'll go and try to shutdown system restoration and update again. We'll see what happens...  :'(

Regards,
nex