Author Topic: reboot after reboot after reboot...  (Read 32876 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:reboot after reboot after reboot...
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2003, 02:01:10 PM »
As a matter of fact, in my \SYSTEM32-folder there are alot of MSV??.tmp files.

I suggest a "cleaner" for your system (Empty Temp Folders may work well, see link at http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=834;start=new

Cheers  ;)
The best things in life are free.

yildi

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2003, 02:39:49 PM »
I have now the same problem after the update to the last version. After each boot, Avast tells me that a new version has been installed and proposes me to restart the system. I have the old versions of the MSV* files on the System32 folder and do not know how to update them. Doing a system cleanup by hand does not solve the problem.

In my system32 folder, I have found a full bunch of *.tmp files that are in fact clones of three files:

one of 54784 bytes,
one of 344064 bytes
one of 487 424 bytes

All dated 5.12.2002.

I imagine that these are the clones of the original files but I do not which one I must use to replace by hand the old MS files.

This reboot demand is quite harassing and I would be happy to get rid of it quickly...

I use Win XP Home, French version and the system is fully update.

Please a solution for this problem...

Regards,

MY

PS. I have just sent the logs to you.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2003, 02:47:15 PM by yildi »

nexus

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2003, 04:07:37 PM »
Hi people,

Nex is back,

Here is a quote from my emails with Alwil. The solution presented does not work for me, but maybe it does for someone else, so let's share this information with you:

Hello,
you can try to copy these files (but backup those files in dllcache
first):
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSV24.tmp to C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllcache\MSVCI70.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSV25.tmp to C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllcache\MSVCP70.dll
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSV26.tmp to C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllcache\MSVCR70.dll

Then try to restart again.
I think that Windows File Protection is always replacing these files
from dllcache, but avast tries to repair it by copying newer versions,
but Windows again replaces them by older version from dllcache etc.

Please let me know if it helped.

Jiri Forejt
Alwil Software

My reply for those interested:

Hi,
Thanks for your help,

I tried to copy the files like you told me to.... BTW: there was only a folder called SYSTEMS32\LASTGOOD\DLLCACHE. This folder had NO file calles MSVC..70.dll in it!
I copied MSV24.tmp etc to the folder, renamed them, but Avast keeps on asking for a reboot.

I then got so genuinely fed up with all this, that I completely removed Avast from my computer, rebooted, deleted ALL references in the WinRegister concerning Avast, I deleted \Program Files\Alwil directory, rebooted, downloaded the lastest version, re-installed.... And guess what ???

I get a "reboot yes/no" !!!??!!  Arrrgghhh! :-/
I really have NO IDEA whatsoever anymore as to what is going on....

Any ideas?? You know, the strange thing is: this is happening on TWO computers at the same time after the latest Avast! update. I'm using Dutch Win XP Pro, by the way. I am really out of ideas....

Best regards and hope you van help me out,

nexus

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2003, 04:17:16 PM »
Oh Tech,

I forgot to mention: cleaning up the system and deleting the .tmp files (I use jv16Tools for this) did not do the trick either...

Could there be a problem with non-English versions of XP Pro?? (I'm just an idiot guessing...  :D )

nex

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2003, 05:42:18 PM »
Oh Tech,
I forgot to mention: cleaning up the system and deleting the .tmp files (I use jv16Tools for this) did not do the trick either...
Could there be a problem with non-English versions of XP Pro?? (I'm just an idiot guessing...  :D )
nex

I don´t think it´s a language problem... But you can try install the English version and see what you get!
I just use the old version of jv16 (the Freeware one). It works fine, but I used just for Registry cleaning and not for temporary files. There are lots of better programs to do cleaning of files than jv16, although the jv16 is a powerfull application for Registry (unfortunatelly it becomes Shareware  :'().

yildi

Reboot problem solved....Hope so!
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2003, 09:39:18 AM »
Hi,

It seems (until now ;-)   ) that I have at the end been able to solve the reboot problem.

I have rebooted in the Repair mode (it is called mode sans echec in French) and logged in as the Administrator in my XP Home.

I have changed the read anly attribute of the problematic dll files in c:\windows\system32:

attrib +R MSVCI70.dll
attrib +R MSVCP70.dll
attrib +R MSVCR70.dll

and copied over these files the ones suggested by the previous mail of Nexus. I have also copied these tmp files over the files in the dllcache folder.

Put back the attributes of the dll files in system32:

attrib -R MSVCI70.dll
attrib -R MSVCP70.dll
attrib -R MSVCR70.dll

Then  reboot as normally and I have not received any message from Avast yet for rebooting.... Hope this will continue :-)

MY

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Reboot problem solved....Hope so!
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2003, 02:59:53 PM »
Hi,

It seems (until now ;-)   ) that I have at the end been able to solve the reboot problem.

I have rebooted in the Repair mode (it is called mode sans echec in French) and logged in as the Administrator in my XP Home.

I have changed the read anly attribute of the problematic dll files in c:\windows\system32:

attrib +R MSVCI70.dll
attrib +R MSVCP70.dll
attrib +R MSVCR70.dll

and copied over these files the ones suggested by the previous mail of Nexus. I have also copied these tmp files over the files in the dllcache folder.

Put back the attributes of the dll files in system32:

attrib -R MSVCI70.dll
attrib -R MSVCP70.dll
attrib -R MSVCR70.dll

Then  reboot as normally and I have not received any message from Avast yet for rebooting.... Hope this will continue :-)

MY

Thanks, yildi
You´re very wellcome to foruns  ;)

nexus

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2003, 01:19:08 AM »

<snip>

attrib +R MSVCI70.dll
attrib +R MSVCP70.dll
attrib +R MSVCR70.dll

<snip>

Hi Yildi,

I wish the same would work for me, but unfortunately, whatever Win startup-option I choose...... when I try to copy copy those files onto MSVC?70.DLL I get an error message that I am not allowed to do so   :'(
Tried it in Repair as well as in Protected mode, but nope....  I guess I just got an awful machine (but only in this respect!)...

Any clues left from anyone? Even though it has not yet solved my problems, thanks to all for your time and help! I can only hope someone will get me a golden egg, I guess...

I think to have tried about everything, should I just install NAV?  ;D  
Woehaha, should I?? NO way....

Regards,
nex

yildi

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2003, 01:22:24 AM »
Has Xp allowed you to change the attributes of these files in System32 folder? I have only been able to copy the new files on the original ones after that operation (they are read only by default).

MY

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2003, 02:59:41 AM »
I think to have tried about everything, should I just install NAV?  ;D  
Woehaha, should I?? NO way....
Regards,
nex

Try MoveOnBoot 1.95 to delete files on next boot (http://www.webattack.com/get/moveonboot.html): it´s a freeware of course  ;D
Try to copy the files after the old ones were deleted  ;)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2003, 04:44:46 AM by Technical »

techie101

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2003, 09:58:09 PM »
Well,  I guess I am joining the problem group!

My Avast has decided, after weeks of running fine, to go nutty.

The blue update box now shows a "new" version 4.278 when I already updated to 280.

My XP wants to reboot and reboot and reboot.

The 3 files in question seem to definetly be the source of the problem:
msvc170     7.0.9447.0 created 12/17/2001   53.5
msvcp70     7.0.9447.0 created 1/21/2002     476kb
msvcr70      7.0.9466.0 created 7/9/2003       336kb

I have attempted using the solutions presented herein with no luck at all.

Any new ideas?

??? ???

yildi

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2003, 10:15:39 PM »
Techie, you have exactly the same problem as me. I do not understand why my solution is not working for you....

Have you replaced the files in system32 and in system32\dllcache by the good ones dated from january 2002? Has windows accepted the copy operation without complaining :

You should do the copy operations FROM a MS-DOS CONSOLE to see if it works really. I have also logged in as the administrator for doing the copies.

If Windows, refuses, you must first change the attributes to read/write (see above).

Once all the copies are done from the console, check the dates of the files in the explorer. If they are OK, restart and it should work.

I hope this will help. Avast is a magnificient software, it is a pity that this problem spoils our pleasure t use it :-(

MY

nexus

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2003, 11:09:36 PM »
Try MoveOnBoot 1.95 to delete files on next boot (http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/0,fid,22942,fileidx,1,00.asp): it´s a freeware of course  ;D
Try to copy the files after the old ones were deleted  ;)

Hi Technival

Could you once more put the link on this forum? The previous link doesn't work - but, moreover, searching for MoveOnBoot doesn't give me results at PcWorld.com..  ???

Thanks!

nex

techie101

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2003, 02:42:21 AM »
Techie, you have exactly the same problem as me. I do not understand why my solution is not working for you....

Actually it did work.  It was my fault.  I meant to remove the Read Only attribute from the files, but when I checked one of the files, the Read Only was not checked, so I continued trying the other solutions, without checking the remaining files which DID have the Read Only enabled.  I removed the Read Only (through the file properties tab), rebooted and everything is fine.

I hope this will help. Avast is a magnificient software, it is a pity that this problem spoils our pleasure use it :-(

Thank you.  However, I do not mind the little problems that creep up with AVAST.
As Avast grows, "bugs" are part of the natural order of things.
WE learn from them! and it doesn't spoil my pleasure at all.!

Glad you are with us at the Forum.

techie  :D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2003, 02:45:02 AM by techie101 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2003, 04:47:02 AM »
Hi Technical
Could you once more put the link on this forum? The previous link doesn't work - but, moreover, searching for MoveOnBoot doesn't give me results at PcWorld.com...Thanks!

Your wish is an order!  ;D See http://www.webattack.com/get/moveonboot.html.
Btw, why don't you try a Google search?  8)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2003, 04:48:18 AM by Technical »