Author Topic: reboot after reboot after reboot...  (Read 32875 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:reboot after reboot after reboot...
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2003, 04:50:53 AM »
Thank you.  However, I do not mind the little problems that creep up with AVAST.
As Avast grows, "bugs" are part of the natural order of things.
WE learn from them! and it doesn't spoil my pleasure at all.!
Glad you are with us at the Forum.
techie  :D

A happy avast! user again  8)
Btw, take the link for MoveOnBoot, it works even whit files with "read-only" attribute  ;D
The best things in life are free.

nexus

Re:Reboot problem solved....Hope so!
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2003, 11:28:28 AM »
Hi Technical
Could you once more put the link on this forum? The previous link doesn't work - but, moreover, searching for MoveOnBoot doesn't give me results at PcWorld.com...Thanks!

Your wish is an order!  ;D See http://www.webattack.com/get/moveonboot.html.
Btw, why don't you try a Google search?  8)

Hi Technical,

Thank you so much for your efforts, I finally managed to resolve the startup problems on my desktop!  ;D
And yes, I should have googled myself around.... My laptop gives me a little more trouble at the moment, but I am confident I will manage to deal with it (if not, you'll hear from me).

That tool, MoveOnBoot, was really a great help - I'd like to suggest it to all of you who might encounter the same problem: give it a try with this handy tool!

Thanks to you all, I'm now a truly happy Avast-user!   :)

Regards,
nex

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2003, 11:44:43 AM »
Hi, it would be extremely useful for us to find out which program iut the invalid files to your system directory. These seem to be files distributed with a BETA version of Microsoft Visual Studio.NET.

Any clues?

Thanks

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

nexus

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2003, 11:58:55 AM »
Hi VLK,

Oh gosh... that DOES ring a bell... I did indeed download some .NET stuff, although I do not think this to be beta stuff... maybe any of the other updates could have raised the problems as well? FYI: here is the Win update-history for my system...

Regards,
nex

Geslaagd maandag 6 oktober 2003 KB828026: Beveiligingsupdate voor Windows Media® Player Automatische update
Geslaagd maandag 6 oktober 2003 KB828750: Cumulatieve patch voor Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (oktober 2003) Automatische update
Geslaagd zaterdag 20 september 2003 Aanbevolen update voor Windows Rights Management Client 1.0 Website
Geslaagd zaterdag 20 september 2003 KB822603: Aanbevolen update voor Windows XP SP1 Website
Geslaagd donderdag 11 september 2003 Windows MovieMaker 2 Website
Geslaagd donderdag 11 september 2003 KB824146: Beveiligingsupdate voor Windows XP Website
Geslaagd donderdag 11 september 2003 KB824146: Beveiligingsupdate voor Windows XP Automatische update
Geslaagd dinsdag 9 september 2003 820223: Update voor Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 Website
Geslaagd vrijdag 5 september 2003 Beveiligingsupdate voor Q811114 (Windows XP of Windows XP Service Pack 1) Website
Geslaagd donderdag 4 september 2003 KB824105: Beveiligingsupdate voor Microsoft Windows Automatische update
Geslaagd dinsdag 2 september 2003 DirectX 9.0b End-User Runtime Website
Geslaagd dinsdag 2 september 2003 Nederlands taalpakket voor Microsoft .NET Framework, versie 1.1 Website
Geslaagd dinsdag 2 september 2003 Aanbevolen update: foutregistratie van Windows (Windows XP) Website
Geslaagd dinsdag 2 september 2003 Q282010: Aanbevolen update voor Microsoft Jet 4.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7) - Windows XP Website
Geslaagd dinsdag 2 september 2003 Microsoft .NET Framework versie 1.1 (Nederlands) Website
Geslaagd dinsdag 2 september 2003 817778: Aanbevolen update voor Windows XP SP1 Website

"geslaagd" = 'succeeded"
"Nederlands taalkpakket" = "Dutch language pack"

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2003, 12:13:46 PM »
Do you still have the msvcr* files (the versions that were causing the problem)? If so, can you post their file versions (accessible in the Windows Explorer, by righ-clicking and selecting Properties...)

Thanks

nexus

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2003, 12:27:31 PM »
Do you still have the msvcr* files (the versions that were causing the problem)? If so, can you post their file versions (accessible in the Windows Explorer, by righ-clicking and selecting Properties...)

Thanks

Hi Vlk,

Their file versions were: 7.0.9447.0 (all three files MSVCI70.DLL / MSVCP70.DLL / MSVCr70.DLL )

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2003, 12:31:25 PM »
Right.

The version we distribute is 7.0.9466.0 -- i.e. newer. The thing is, these files are from the first, original release of VS.NET. So anything older must be from some BETA version, I guess....

I wonder how these files got to your system... ???

Vlk

nexus

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2003, 12:39:38 PM »
Hi all,

As mentioned, I fixed the problem on my desktop but was still encountering some errors on my laptop. I've fixed them by now, so let's share what I did so that you might all potentially benefit from this.

After copying those .TMP files to their respective .DLLs (see the earlier postings) I got strange error messages on startup: error ^%^@%#*^%@%#@ (non-readable text) Ashdisp.exe and Ashmaisv.exe could not find their entrypoints in MSVCR70.DLL, even if that DLL was the right version! (Yes, I checked their versions by then :))

So I guessed my system was getting really cluttered.... This is what I did:

* remove Avast by:
- running the Avast uninstaller.
To make sure nothing is left anymore:
- remove the directory C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4
- clean the WinRegistry with a tool (e.g. jv16PowerTools, although not freeware anymore, see http://www.macecraft.com/ but any other tool works just as fine)
- remove the MSVCI70.DLL / MSVCP70.DLL / MSVCR70.DLL from your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ and C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE

* reboot

* re-install Avast

* run MoveOnBoot and put the MSVCI70.DLL / MSVCP70.DLL / MSVCR70.DLL files into another folder

* reboot (Avast will not be able to start the DLLs: thus, you'll get error msgs. No panic.)

* copy those MSV24/25/26.TMP files as described earlier in this forum onto the respective DLLs

* restart

After having done so, it's working just fine again... Maybe this is of any help to someone.

Regards,
nex

nexus

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2003, 12:40:11 PM »
Right.

The version we distribute is 7.0.9466.0 -- i.e. newer. The thing is, these files are from the first, original release of VS.NET. So anything older must be from some BETA version, I guess....

I wonder how these files got to your system... ???

Vlk

I wish I knew too....  :-\

techie101

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2003, 05:20:40 PM »
VLK and et all:

This is a very intriquing problem although it is simple to fix.

I have to admit that I am ashamed that I did not do what I normally do with a problem file....rename it.  I would have been able to send you a copy.  However, I do not believe that the files are the problem, nor AVAST.  

This information may help.  In examining the 3 files on my XP system, I did notice that the older files were version 7.0.9447.0 dated 2001 which is the date when my laptop was purchased.  It is my belief that the files were OE installs.  Furthermore, I have found that for some unknown reason, MS likes to attach "read only" status to files in the Runtime Library to protect them.
Bah! hahaha
None of the files on my computer are BETA.  These would have to be voluntarily downloaded which I do not do often unless testing a program in a contained environment.

The repair was simple...very simple....
It did not require copying over, or deleting, or removing reboot.txt or anything like that.  Users should not try to do anything with the registry either.  It is not necessary in this case.  Extreme measures will usually bring about extreme results....some unwanted!

In one of the posts, Yildi brought up the attribute status.
If the Read Only is removed from the 3 files, AVAST has no trouble replacing the older files with the newer 7.0.9466.0

The only way to rectify this automatically would be to have Avast "exit" Windows, enter Dos and start a batch exe file to check attribute, remove attribute, set files and then exit back to windows.

This is not only excess work, but I do not like to hand over control of my operating system in Dos mode to another program.

At this point, making users aware of the simple corrective measure is the best course of action.

Another post by Nexus mentioned the Microsoft.Net framework update.  This is not a BETA release.  Updating MAY even correct the file problem.  Since MS won't comment on this.....it is kind of up to us to see where this goes.

I do believe in using the MS Windows Update often but only download and install those programs that are relevant.  Just because MS "recommends" doesn't mean that I "need" !

It is extremely difficult for a software vendor to anticipate any and all events that might occur between their program and others.

It is our task as AVAST afficianados to do what they cannot!

LONG LIVE AVAST AND THE PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT IT!!

:D  :D   :D  :D  

Sorry for the long post.  It takes a bit of time sometimes to get my thoughts out.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2003, 05:23:50 PM by techie101 »