Author Topic: Avast 2014.9.0.2006 online security add-on in browsers blocks me watching videos  (Read 2451 times)

goodwitch

In Firefox this add-on has blocked me from watching videos on both the CBC and CityTV websites.  I had been using IE until a few days ago when that too failed on the CBC site.  Then installed Chrome and it was fine for a day, now cannot watch CityTV videos either.  This morning disabled the add-on in Firefox and can once again watch the videos with Firefox.  Is there some way to edit the permissions for these 2 sites?  I do not find the Avast help pages very helpful as there is nothing that mentions this add-on.

A very confused Sue in Canada

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Have you tried latest avast version?

goodwitch

Just updated Avast to 2014.9.0.2008 and restarted the computer and it is still the same.  Is there any way to edit the way this add-on works or should I just disable it?  It seems to work differently in each of the three browsers. 

Firefox 25.0.1 will not allow me to view videos on either site until I disable the add-on. 
Chrome downloaded 3 days ago works for both CityTv and CBC only with the add-on disabled. Neither with the add-on enabled.
IE 11 works on CityTV but not on CBC with the add-on disabled.  Neither with the add-on enabled.  CBC says I need the latest version of Adobe Flash Player which I have installed already.

Firefox worked on both sites until I updated to the version 9 of Avast.

See my confusion?

Sue in Canada

« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 06:58:16 PM by goodwitch »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Do you have some specific links that I/we can try to access ?
I use firefox as my default browser and so far haven't had any issues with watching videos.

You say "Firefox 25.0.1 will not allow me to view videos on either site until I disable the add-on."
What errors are you getting, etc. ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

goodwitch

You need a Canadian IP address to watch these videos.  Sorry I do not know how to post a live link here.  Using Firefox on CityTV  the video box never loads just get a grey outline where the video box will show up when I disable the plug-in.

http://video.citytv.com/video/navigation.htm?N=0&type=videos&category=AllVideos

ON the CBC site the video box does not load either, just a black oblong shows up.  Checking Task Manager shows that nothing downloads when I click to view a video.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/Shows/The+Rick+Mercer+Report/ID/2419555497/

I have no trouble on other sites and have spent most of today watching Dr. Who episodes and specials on

http://watch.space.ca

had no problems on this site at all, nor on any of the other sites I usually watch videos.  Just the 2 problematic ones.

Sue in Canada

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
That's me out in the UK.

Hopefully someone who is in Canada can check this out.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

goodwitch

Solved the problem.  I uninstalled Avast and now use AVG with no problems watching videos anywhere!