Author Topic: Avast automatically updates without permission and avast gives tray icon error.  (Read 5982 times)

jwoods301

...They did admit they should have done advance notification...lesson learned for them.

Lesson learned??  I'm not so sure.

There have been a number of emupdates since the 21/11/2013 one that seems to have caused so much resentment.
I don't know exactly how many. I'm not aware of any Avast publication that details either the number, or what they were for, either before or after the event.

I don't know to what degree my Avast has been hacked, patched, or repatched by this backdoor procedure, since these "updates" don't change the official version number, and there is no public listing that I am aware of which files have been altered, added or subtracted by the emupdates.

What happens if one does a "repair". Are any of the changes made by prior emupdates overwritten. If I do a new install, have all the changes made by prior emupdates been included in the current installation file available on line, and how does one check if there is no change in the version number.

I guess time will tell whether the lesson on advance notifications to automatic program updates will be implemented in the future...

I suppose you could run OTL on a daily basis, save each log, and use a program like Beyond Compare to compare the changes day over day.

Personally, if it got to the point where I felt I needed to monitor changes that closely, I would consider another AV vendor.