Author Topic: How to supress Avast spam from Message Area  (Read 2417 times)

Vega5

How to supress Avast spam from Message Area
« on: November 30, 2013, 06:50:31 PM »
Anyone know how to block the adds for Avast add-on components and purchases that pop up in my Windows message area?   I would rather keep Avast actively displayed but not see the spam.   There seems to be no control over the display.    This is for additional purchases of VPN, etc.

Note that no other product that I am aware of, even the real badly behaved software, spams me on my desktop out of my control.

Thx

Arnold72

Re: How to supress Avast spam from Message Area
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 06:57:28 PM »
You can turn those off within the interface.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 07:04:56 PM »
What you are seeing is an ongoing issue. What you should be seeing is a vps update pop-up.
As far as those "advertising pop-ups", as you put it, avast has every right to make a profit.
avast does not push out huge ads everywhere on the internet, so as a user of a "free" software
the ads are a part of life.

That said you can limit the duration of each pop-up via the GUI.
GUI>Settings>Appearance>scroll down to "Pop-Ups">adjust (note: the shortest amount is one second).
You may also stop all pop-ups by using the "silent/gaming" mode on the same screen.  :)

edit: Added screenshot.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 07:08:37 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 07:07:49 PM »
You can turn those off within the interface.
It's one thing to tell a user that they can do something via the GUI.
It's more helpful if you give directions. Sometimes step-by-step direction
help even more.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Vega5

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 08:51:12 PM »
Thanks Para-Noid.   I will change the time to zero if possible.    Minor correction:   I have two valid licenses for my two copies of Avast.   These may get renewed next year based upon Avast's 'politeness'.

I stand by what I said:   I can think of no other program (service-based or otherwise) that generates pop-up advertisements on my desktop, out of my control.   Well, maybe some malware.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 10:35:02 PM »
Thanks Para-Noid.   I will change the time to zero if possible.    Minor correction:   I have two valid licenses for my two copies of Avast.   These may get renewed next year based upon Avast's 'politeness'.

I stand by what I said:   I can think of no other program (service-based or otherwise) that generates pop-up advertisements on my desktop, out of my control.   Well, maybe some malware.

Changing the duration to "zero" means the pop-up will remain visible forever.
That is why "one" is the lowest possible setting.

avast is known primarily by word of mouth. Since they have employees that want to be paid for their
efforts I have no problem with avast advertising. Another way to look at it is, have looked around lately?
Advertising is all around you. Newspapers, TV, billboards up and down the street/highways not to mention
store signs enticing you to shop and/or use their products. I get top-of-the-line protection for free. I can
live with the advertising. avast has to pay their bills too.  :)

Offline jacal

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 01:20:07 AM »
I thought only the free version spams. One really should not be forced to watch commercials in a paid program. And pop-up advertisements on the desktop are too much even for a free program. Imagine irfanview harassing like that. Or any other freeware program, no matter how excellent.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 01:18:04 PM »
I thought only the free version spams. One really should not be forced to watch commercials in a paid program. And pop-up advertisements on the desktop are too much even for a free program. Imagine irfanview harassing like that. Or any other freeware program, no matter how excellent.
Disable the update panel and you won't see them at all. You can also set Silent/Gaming mode. You can disable avast! sound and voices.
The best things in life are free.