Author Topic: Logs Location? - and full URL that was blocked?  (Read 3723 times)

mbourne

Logs Location? - and full URL that was blocked?
« on: December 06, 2013, 09:19:40 PM »
Avast! free v.9.0.2008 on Windows Vista.

Web shield is blocking something which appears to be related to Google Updater. But how do I access the logs to see what happened?

Scan > Scan history doesn't show anything - looks like it only shows results of local file scans. Settings > Active Protection > Web Shield > Report file has "Generate report file" selected and file name is set to "*" - no clue where it's actually stored! I'm sure a previous version of Avast! had a button somewhere to show the logs, but I can't find it in this version...

The popup when a virus is detected shows a truncated link. Clicking "more details" leads to a web page at www.avast.com which also only shows a truncated link; so much for more details. So how do I get to see the full URL that was blocked?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Logs Location? - and full URL that was blocked?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 09:23:16 PM »
It's a false positive and has been reported to avast.
Should be fixed with the next vps update.  :)

See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=142037.0
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

mbourne

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 09:26:33 PM »
I guessed it was probably a false positive. But the question still remains - how to access the logs and see the full URL? (and anything else Avast! blocks for that matter...)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 09:27:42 PM »
If the web shield is alerting:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\report\WebShield.txt XP location, not sure if that is also for Vista. If not check the C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report\WebShield.txt  location.

If not alerting then it is unlikely the URL would be in the logs as it would be absolutely massive if all URLs scanned (not just alerts) were included.

####
If the alert URL in the Popup is truncated, hovering over the url should show the full URL, the same would be true if you use the More info on the web page hovering over the URL should display it all.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mbourne

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 09:43:37 PM »
Thanks!

Poking around just now I'd come across <C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\>, but wasn't anything relevant there. Following your prompt, I found <C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\report\WebShield.txt> which does contain the full URLs.

Yep - was only looking for ones that are blocked. A list of all URLs scanned would be verrrrry long indeed!

Will try hovering over the popup next time I see one. Although past experience with some applications (not necessarily with Avast) is that the hover text can end up running off the side of the screen. I did try hovering over the URL on the web page before and didn't get anything, but tried again just now and it does show the full URL... must have been just outside the border before, or moved the mouse or something...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 10:49:28 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security