Author Topic: aswrvrt.sys boot problem on XP Pro  (Read 2481 times)

aceetee

aswrvrt.sys boot problem on XP Pro
« on: December 02, 2013, 10:41:23 AM »
FRST.txt attached...

Alex

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
Re: aswrvrt.sys boot problem on XP Pro
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 11:46:09 AM »
Remover notified
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Ambulanta MyCity Forum - ASAP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 01:15:10 PM »
@alan1998
Send notifications to all currently available helpers here. A one who is available it will take the case.

@aceetee
First let's try system restore. Run the first script and if that fails to restore your Windows in normal mode, try second script.

Open notepad.
  • Click Start
  • Type notepad.exe in the search programs and files box and click Enter.
  • A blank Notepad page should open.
  • Copy/Paste the contents of the code box below into Notepad.
Code: [Select]
RP: -> 2013-12-01 16:43 - 032768 _restore{7FFD1008-BE53-4303-AAC6-BF224E07863E}\RP1658
  • Save it to your USB flashdrive as fixlist.txt
>>  Boot into Recovery Environment

Start FRST in a similar manner to when you ran a scan earlier, but this time when it opens ....
  •     Press the Fix button once and wait.
  •     FRST will process fixlist.txt
  •     When finished, it will produce a log fixlog.txt on your USB flashdrive.
>>  Exit out of Recovery Environment and post me the log please.

-----------------------------
=> Can you boot in normal mode?
Yes <= report here
No <= run second script
-----------------------------

Open notepad.
  • Click Start
  • Type notepad.exe in the search programs and files box and click Enter.
  • A blank Notepad page should open.
  • Copy/Paste the contents of the code box below into Notepad.
Code: [Select]
RP: -> 2013-11-27 23:25 - 032768 _restore{7FFD1008-BE53-4303-AAC6-BF224E07863E}\RP1657
  • Save it to your USB flashdrive as fixlist.txt
>>  Boot into Recovery Environment

Start FRST in a similar manner to when you ran a scan earlier, but this time when it opens ....
  •     Press the Fix button once and wait.
  •     FRST will process fixlist.txt
  •     When finished, it will produce a log fixlog.txt on your USB flashdrive.
>>  Exit out of Recovery Environment and post me the log please.

aceetee

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 03:42:24 PM »
@magna86

After first repair (Fixlog1.txt) I couldn't do a normal boot or a safe mode boot (still stopping at aswrvrt.sys).

After second repair (Fixlog.txt) I can do a normal boot and logon to the local machine, but I can't logon to my domain (server not available or user not found...).

Alex

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 04:17:56 PM »
Alex, my job here is free based. I do it freely because I want to help. A am not avast tim member.  ;)

After second repair (Fixlog.txt) I can do a normal boot and logon to the local machine, but I can't logon to my domain (server not available or user not found...).

With that in mind my job here is done.  The machine is restored to 2013-11 at 27 23:25 in system time. Non-boot problem is solved.  :)

As my time here is volunteer and "your" company earns on those computers, it's fair to pay someone to fix their computer and repair them.

You may remove FRST tool (drag&drop) into recycle bin and delete FRST folder in system drive (usual C:\FRST ).

Cheers

aceetee

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 05:19:39 PM »
Alex, my job here is free based. I do it freely because I want to help. A am not avast tim member.  ;)

With that in mind my job here is done.  The machine is restored to 2013-11 at 27 23:25 in system time. Non-boot problem is solved.  :)

As my time here is volunteer and "your" company earns on those computers, it's fair to pay someone to fix their computer and repair them.

You may remove FRST tool (drag&drop) into recycle bin and delete FRST folder in system drive (usual C:\FRST ).

Cheers
Firstly, please be aware that this is genuinely a home system (not a business) - I run a windows server domain in order to provide added security for my family.

Also, I am aware that you are a volunteer and your help is much appreciated.

After following your instructions exactly and posting my results, I waited for your response as a courtesy to you, since I know how difficult online support can be when the person you are trying to help does 'extra' stuff... (I've been a programmer for over 40 years) :)

Can I now safely apply updates to Avast and Windows XP? or is there something else I need to do to avoid this problem happening again?

Alex

Offline magna86

• Anti Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 06:12:47 PM »
Can I now safely apply updates to Avast and Windows XP? or is there something else I need to do to avoid this problem happening again?

I can't tell you why is this happening. For some reason avast driver refuses to load in kernel...why, I do not know. But I do suggest update.