Author Topic: [bug hunt] update process from avast 8 to avast 2014  (Read 48869 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: [bug hunt] update process from avast 8 to avast 2014
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2013, 09:42:37 PM »
I Download the files.avast.com/beta9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe and ran the setup over the top of avast 8.0.1497 on my XP Pro SP3 system.

All appears to have gone well after first reboot.

So that was effectively an update of avast 8.0 to 9.0 without issue as far as I can see at this early stage. All settings appear to have been retained.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2013, 11:08:25 PM »
downloaded the 8 RC3 then via automatic update to v9 ...
only issue so far i encouter, but it might be v9 specific and not related to the update : http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=136310.msg997439#msg997439

looking if anything else is wrong
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

happy avast user

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2013, 09:27:37 PM »
Hi,

I have just installed Avast FREE 2014 RC3 (clean install) and I have problems with it :(, the problems I have noticed (for me anyway) are:

1. Very quick to download, but very slow to install (all together it to 10 mins) and that includes a reboot after install.
I have installed and then (uninstalled Avast using the Avast uninstall/clear tool) and then re-installed Avast 2014 RC3 (9.0.2005) but has not solved the other problems I have.

2. The second problem I have is that Avast will not update at all (VPS Update), I have update settings as default and all sounds and events are enabled.
Avast won't even update when I do a manual update.
The current update I have is: ( 081013-0 08/10/2013 at 12:11:15).
When I do the manual up date it says that the Engine and Virus Definitions (Already up to date).
What is the latest VPS update please?
I have no problem with streaming updates I am receive them constantly.

3. The  third problem I have is with (My Devices) when I click on (My Devices) to connect my devices to my Avast Account it says to create an Avast Account and put my password in twice why??? I already have an Avast Account :(     

I am going back to Avast 8 for now :(

happy avast user :)

Offline lukas.hasik

• Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2013, 01:31:48 PM »
Hi,

I have just installed Avast FREE 2014 RC3 (clean install) and I have problems with it :(, the problems I have noticed (for me anyway) are:

1. Very quick to download, but very slow to install (all together it to 10 mins) and that includes a reboot after install.
I have installed and then (uninstalled Avast using the Avast uninstall/clear tool) and then re-installed Avast 2014 RC3 (9.0.2005) but has not solved the other problems I have.

2. The second problem I have is that Avast will not update at all (VPS Update), I have update settings as default and all sounds and events are enabled.
Avast won't even update when I do a manual update.
The current update I have is: ( 081013-0 08/10/2013 at 12:11:15).
When I do the manual up date it says that the Engine and Virus Definitions (Already up to date).
What is the latest VPS update please?
I have no problem with streaming updates I am receive them constantly.

3. The  third problem I have is with (My Devices) when I click on (My Devices) to connect my devices to my Avast Account it says to create an Avast Account and put my password in twice why??? I already have an Avast Account :(     

I am going back to Avast 8 for now :(

happy avast user :)

there is no point of sending it on forum and then private mail to me...
@1 - you used so called "online installer" - it is small and downloads everything necessary during install phase - try to download the "_full.exe" binaries
@2 - there were no release of vps9 for several days - it will be fixed soon
@3 - it should work - could you send me a few screenshots from the "steps" you did?
Quality is also a feature.