Author Topic: File Shield gone nuts  (Read 4840 times)

wraymogg

File Shield gone nuts
« on: December 03, 2013, 11:18:32 AM »
Hello,

since last week when I showed you with a video how File Shield gets triggered only by name change, things got worse.

Now it triggers on *.bpl extensions in my Borland C++ files, again with that Evo-Gen [Susp].

Something very bad happened with Avast lately. It became almost unusable with false alarms, and with the default settings to move to chest, it breaks valid and uninfected software. It takes attended time to reverse the damage that Avast is inflicting...

Also you started to popup a lot of messages, and to configure to exclude all these popups is almost impossible.

I had to disable for good File Shield. These things never happened since 1 month ago. My sincere recommendation is to fire your new project manager (wild guess) since is destroying Avast.

Best regards
Vlad

Randissimo

Re: File Shield gone nuts
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 11:41:53 AM »
The only advice I can give is to download and install Avast 8, because it has the option to ignore suspicious files when you've set the corresponding file shields to ask yourself what Avast should do.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 11:51:48 PM »
Better advice is a "clean" install!

Download and save in a place you can find it http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe
Download and save your choice
Free
Pro
AIS
Premier
Run the uninstaller from above. You will be directed to reboot into safe mode, do so.
Reboot.
Re-install avast choice from above.
Reboot and register.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Randissimo

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 10:53:42 AM »
Better advice is a "clean" install!
A "clean install" won't add removed features (=possibility to directly allow file access for suspicious rated files) again.
However, even installing Avast8 doesn't help, if the threats are suddenly recognized as viruses (such as Adwcleaner and so on) and the worst thing is that in Avast 8 you could only exclude folder but not single files, which is better in Avast 2014, so that isn't even an option.
Well, you could go try the chest, but the last times I've tried, it didn't work because of some URL bug. I could've reported every file, but that would've mean too much trouble, so the only real option left for me was to say goodbye to Avast on my primary computer and move on to another anti-virus which leaves me the choice to directly choose whether I want to allow the files or not, but I'll still have Avast 2014 installed on my laptop to see, whether Avast will improve or not.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 11:39:40 AM »
The only advice I can give is to download and install Avast 8, because it has the option to ignore suspicious files when you've set the corresponding file shields to ask yourself what Avast should do.

Sorry but that's the stupidest advice ever. You do realize avast! 2014 offers that as well? So why downgrade to an inferior avast version?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 11:45:02 AM »
Hello,

since last week when I showed you with a video how File Shield gets triggered only by name change, things got worse.

Now it triggers on *.bpl extensions in my Borland C++ files, again with that Evo-Gen [Susp].

Something very bad happened with Avast lately. It became almost unusable with false alarms, and with the default settings to move to chest, it breaks valid and uninfected software. It takes attended time to reverse the damage that Avast is inflicting...

Also you started to popup a lot of messages, and to configure to exclude all these popups is almost impossible.

I had to disable for good File Shield. These things never happened since 1 month ago. My sincere recommendation is to fire your new project manager (wild guess) since is destroying Avast.

Best regards
Vlad
Hello,
send the detected files to virus@avast.com and put "False positive" to email subject.

Milos

Randissimo

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 05:35:20 PM »
You do realize avast! 2014 offers that as well?
As far as I've seen, Avast 2014 doesn't allow neither suspicious file downloads nor suspicious files (evo_gen32 something) to continue on the "actions to take" windows when you've set it to ask yourself what it should do when finding a potential threat.

I can agree to some degree, that Avast 2014 has some advantages over Avast 8 if it works without a problem, for example the faster scans and the better options to exclude single files instead of whole folders, but if there aren't any options to exclude files on demand without going to the chest first, then it's worth nothing.
Also, removing even small options such as deleting single log files instead of clearing all logs doesn't count as an improvement.

Avast 8 used to be good, before the signature/streaming updates suddenly decided to find virus threats in legit applications and because of that categorization, you can't exclude the files on the spot. Let's make an example: What if Avast finds a legit Windows file suspicious and when it gets removed or send to chest, you instantly get a BSOD and from then on can't even boot up Windows anymore?
Because such cases are likely to happen if you make heuristics stronger while removing options to immediately exclude files, I've already switched to another anti-virus for my main computer, though I won't mention which one to not make any advertisement (not even in PMs, so search for yourself whoever is also dissatisfied with Avast).

« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 05:59:28 PM by Randissimo »