Author Topic: GrimeFighter  (Read 72714 times)

GreggH

Re: GrimeFighter
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2013, 01:42:56 PM »
An interesting comment from OndraM

Sometimes we encounter a computer that is infected so deep in the system files that it is impossible to clean and repair it while running on the same system. We need to boot to a separate system and fix these core files. To do this we have to have our own OS that we can boot into and make these changes. That's what GF really is: an operating system focused on cleaning and repairing systems that would have been lost otherwise.

Full post http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=141743.msg1031939#new

And this would be fine if a) we were told what it is that needs be "cleaned", and/or b) GF stuck to running ONLY if such a situation as he stated existed. IOW, it says to run it when it discovers, in the opinion of the software authors, "grime", and I have too many systems damaged or worse, bricked, due to such registry cleaners and system speedup applications to trust anyone else's opinion as to what can safely be removed from my system, unless it is a virus. But to attempt to get rid of "grime" for me, is pushing the limits of what I want an AV for. IF I wanted that, there are many such applications out there that I could try. I don't need/want one in an AV that less sophisticated users are going to trust and believe in, possibly resulting in more work for me fixing what the true result is, and in damage to my rep for having advised the installation of Avast in the first place.

Gregg

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2013, 01:54:05 PM »
So, why exactly is the Rescue Disc for then?
I think it's for advanced users. GF is for common ones and completely automated. My personal feeling though.
The best things in life are free.

Offline OndraM

• Avast team
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2013, 02:07:45 PM »
I think it's for advanced users. GF is for common ones and completely automated. My personal feeling though.

You are completely right. GF was aimed at beginner users that just need a quick fix. A more verbose mode for advanced users is needed.

The core difference between rescue disk and GF is that GF works out of the box even on already infected pc. Rescue disk has to be created prior to infection.

Tetsuo

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2013, 03:01:14 PM »
You are completely right. GF was aimed at beginner users that just need a quick fix. A more verbose mode for advanced users is needed.

The core difference between rescue disk and GF is that GF works out of the box even on already infected pc. Rescue disk has to be created prior to infection.

After reading your original post,  I'm not sure whether you are going to  make the unwanted "connector" thing optional or not during the install? 

(I posted the same question also in the beta main thread)

thug4real

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2013, 07:47:53 PM »
Yep I agree. Can't wait to see how GF evolve. For beginner is a great addition indeed.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2013, 12:43:37 AM »

Rescue disk is created from a clean version of Windows, it's downloaded from the Internet.

Offline igor

• Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2013, 10:29:41 AM »
You're wrong ;)
Yes, the kit is downloaded from the Internet, but a lot of stuff is copied from the local disk.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2013, 11:29:18 AM »
Sad, but true. Well, but only avast files (protected by self-defense, hopefully) and some (four?) Windows files are copied to the Rescue Disk. What's the point of RD if it's contaminated by local files? This can be improved in avast10, it's nothing complicated what couldn't be fixed.

marco275

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2013, 11:43:42 AM »

Rescue disk is created from a clean version of Windows, it's downloaded from the Internet.

A rescue disk is created from an installation that one is satisfied with, and should be done on a regular basis.
As a user I don't have any means of knowing that when GF has done his job, that i'm satified with the result as it gives no information whatsoever.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2013, 11:52:52 AM »
I cannot see what is the problem in detail and I cannot fix it by myself. I also want to know how much access does the remote agent have over the pc and if you log any details about the pc.

The problem was, that everbody, who downloaded and installed '9.0.2009' early ( e.g. on 20131202) had no chance NOT to choose the installing of GF.
If anybody of those activated GF (like I did) had trouble.
After 3 hours of waiting and only 3 window changes with comments like 'Downloading image ...' my machine was like 'Antarctica', deeply frozen!

HDW38

At the time I wrote this above message I had already installed GrimeFighter in my pc. It did download the image completely. When I ran it, the pc rebooted, and went to the grimefighter rescue screen.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2013, 08:31:38 PM »
Grime asked me to clean my PC.
If I don't know what will it do, how could I allow this?
Really, allow a "hidden" log about what would be done. It's so automatic that I can't trust it won't change something in my non-standard computer.
I think a lot of other avast! beta testers will do the same...
The best things in life are free.

propheticus

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2013, 09:41:42 PM »
Indeed, found 3 so called 'problems' but did not tell what they were and what would be deleted. No freakin' way I click okay without any info about what I'm agreeing with.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2013, 05:46:39 AM »
That's why I aren't touching the bloody GF without any further information and details what's really going on in the OS because I'm not risking it any further and to allow GF to do some changes.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

GreggH

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2013, 01:30:31 PM »
That's why I aren't touching the bloody GF without any further information and details what's really going on in the OS because I'm not risking it any further and to allow GF to do some changes.

+1

Gregg

Offline skinnypops

• backup, backup, backup
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2013, 04:05:58 PM »
I AGREE!! devs please take note of these opinions before offering this product.

skinnypops
new HP , amd a10-8700p quad core @ 1.8 gig radeon r6 graphics ,dedicated radeon r8 2gb graphics card, 8 gig ddr3-1600 memory, 1 tb hdd, win 10x64 home 1607 build 14393.1066, avast free 17.3.2291,  windows firewall, mbae free, mbam free, open dns, cryptoprevent, mcshield, paragon bu & recovery 2015,system explorer