Author Topic: Location of Avast License  (Read 12950 times)

Offline Amgeek

Location of Avast License
« on: December 03, 2013, 08:27:01 PM »
I need to know where to find, either in the registry or file system, the license numbers or files for avast Internet security.

I am working on a client's machine who cannot access the Internet due to problems with Web Shield. I would like to uninstall avast and reinstall it but will need my clients license to complete the job before I send the machine home.

Thanks
Amgeek

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Location of Avast License
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 08:30:59 PM »
Just reinstall the trial version and the client can re-insert the license himself from his email when he comes to pick it up from you.

Offline Amgeek

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 09:12:49 PM »
I spoke to the client and she's not sure she knows where it is, besides I don't want to return the machine "incomplete".

If I can't come up with a way to salvage the license where it is, I'll just put on the free avast (which will probably eliminate the issues they are having with the Web Shield that caused them to bring the machine in in the first place).

I truly love Avast but hesitate to ever suggest anyone get the full version for reasons such as these.

Please, where is it?

Thank you
Amgeek

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 09:21:38 PM »
Even if I knew where the file could be found ( if it can ) it would be unethical to hand out that information to a third party, as mentioned you can reinstall the trial version or you can install the free and when the client has there system in hand they can either re-insert the license from there email which will upgrade the version automatically and if they cant find the license file then they can always ask avast to resend the license.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 09:27:21 PM »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 09:39:32 PM »
I don't think it's any secret... the license file is normally inside the avast! data folder (where it gets copied during the insertion), i.e.
WinXP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\license.avastlic
Vista+: C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\license.avastlic

propheticus

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 09:44:26 PM »
That's what I posted a few minutes ago....my post got binned and I got reprimanded for it though. Now an Avast team members posts the exact same info, makes sense :P

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 09:51:15 PM »
That's what I posted a few minutes ago....my post got binned and I got reprimanded for it though. Now an Avast team members posts the exact same info, makes sense :P
Sorry but I thought that supplying that information would be a conflict of interest which might enable piracy which is why I removed the post

Sorry again