Author Topic: Outlook 2003  (Read 12286 times)

doggeral

Re:Outlook 2003
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2003, 11:31:36 PM »
Thank You.  Works as expected.  

Out of curiosity could you perhaps give me a hint as to what has changed in outlook to cause this.   I have a feeling I might need to update some of my outlook programs and am curious.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2003, 08:00:52 AM »
Out of curiosity could you perhaps give me a hint as to what has changed in outlook to cause this.  I have a feeling I might need to update some of my outlook programs and am curious.

No problem.

The way our add-in was working before was:

read the body
attach the note
write the body
(possibly call RTFSync, if necessary)
save the body

Now, the fixed version does this

save the body
read the body
attach the note
write the body
(possibly call RTFSync, if necessary)
save the body

I.e. it first calls SaveChanges on the message. This was not necessary in any of the previous Outlook versions (starting with the MS Exchange Client application) but seems to be now mandatory for Outlook 2003. Not sure why, though... :-\

Well, the MS docs say: The IMAPIProp::SaveChanges method makes permanent any changes made to an object since the last save operation. , so it may make sense after all (although it doesn't tell what it makes permanent if this is the first save operation ;)).

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

doggeral

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2003, 08:20:29 AM »
UGH...Not the answer i wanted.  (not from you, but from the documentation).

Sorry for being so lazy I should have just looked it up myself, but a part of me was hoping it was my configuration or something other than related to an outlook change like this.

This one little thing screws up 2 of the outlook plugins i wrote for my machine a long time ago and I barely remember coding them or anything.  Just makes my life miserable.

Sorry again....for being lazy, but I figured hey if anything reporting this saves the long thread about it later when outlook 2k3 is popular.

BTW,  I do remember long ago wanting outlook to operate this way, because it makes some things a bit easier when dealing with the messages.   And actually makes things like manual html image downloads actually useful to some degree.

Anyway enough ramblings.  Thanks Again and I'll go back to my corner and just read.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2003, 10:38:19 AM »
Sorry again....for being lazy, but I figured hey if anything reporting this saves the long thread about it later when outlook 2k3 is popular.

Absolutely! Big thanks to you, fortunately (with your help) we were able to fix this thing before the official release of Outlook 2K3. Well done!

BTW,  I do remember long ago wanting outlook to operate this way, because it makes some things a bit easier when dealing with the messages.  And actually makes things like manual html image downloads actually useful to some degree.

Maybe, but it must have ruined quite a number of 3rd party add-ins... :-\
Probably not so cool idea to change such a behavior in the 5th generation of 32bit Outlooks...

Vlk

helmut

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2003, 10:14:27 PM »
Still not working for me after installing the new file.  If I send mail with the insert notes option turned on for outgoing mail, the email is blank.  If I receive mail with the insert notes option turned on for incoming mail, the email is blank.  This is HTML mail.  For Plain Text mail, if the insert notes option is turned on for outgoing mail, the email is blank.  If the the insert notes option is turned on for incoming mail, the email is blank.  Basically, no change for me.  The email is blank for any type of mail with the insert notes option turned on using the Outlook provider.  I give up on it.

doggeral

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2003, 10:38:38 PM »
No it works, but what I was coming here to post about is probably the issue you are having.

When you replace the DLL the system detects it as outdated and automatically downloads the dll that causes the blank messages.  Even if automatic updates are set to manual.  I know I've tried it 4 or 5 times.

In order to prove set your automatic updates at manual.  For some reason it takes longer for it to update automatically when it is set this way, but it will still eventually do it with out you getting the option to decline the update.  Maybe it is coming in with virus signatures.

But if you do that replace the dll.  Then start outlook immediately it will work until the update comes down again.

helmut

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2003, 10:43:02 PM »
I just noticed that myself.  Well, I noticed that the .dll had reverted back to the other version.  I was trying to figure out how.  What you said it explains it.  Thanks.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2003, 11:44:57 PM »
Yes that's true. That's the avast's auto-correct feature. It happens every 4 hours, by default.

Anyway helmut, can you please verify that the new version works? It's really important for us to know...

If it does, it will be included in the new program update which is due by the end of this week...

Thanks,
Vlk

helmut

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2003, 12:15:04 AM »
Oh, yes.  Works fine now.  It had been updated before I had tested it.  Instead of researching it properly before posting, I complained a bit too quickly.  Sorry about that.

doggeral

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2003, 05:37:53 AM »
That's the avast's auto-correct feature. It happens every 4 hours, by default.

Ok that explains a lot of problems I was having.  Totally explains the loop my sytem was in from a few monitoring programs.