Author Topic: 3000 installs. There won't be another.  (Read 1865 times)

xilef

3000 installs. There won't be another.
« on: December 04, 2013, 04:08:42 AM »
I have a computer repair shop. Avast was my AV of choice for 8 years. We installed it on 80% of the computers that came through the store. It's a good product. Good enough that I installed it about 3000 times without making a cent.

Today I had the opportunity to speak with customer service regarding a failed Avast update that necessitated removing Avast with the removal tool and reinstalling. The computer worked correctly when Avast was removed. Once Avast was reinstalled the license key would not work even though it had 6 months left. At this point I called customer support. They would not help, they simply wanted to upsell an online computer overhaul after sending a new license key that also failed. They were also incapable of using the tools that come with Avast.

Now I have to wonder about the ethics of a company that after getting paid runs the same scam that their product is responsible for removing. There were no problems with the computer until the Avast update corrupted the computer yesterday, but the CSR insisted that the start up errors, mostly logged in 2012, were the problem. He said I'd have to speak with an engineer to fix those problems before Avast would accept the license.

I know this computer. I know how it's used. I know the owner to be very cautious. The logs are always clean. This is an Avast related problem that Avast failed to help a paying customer with. They simply put on a front so that they could sell an unnecessary service instead.

I sell service. When one of the products that I recommend let's me down, it's time to vet a new product. 

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: 3000 installs. There won't be another.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 05:13:17 AM »
I guess you dealt with the third party support :(  best of coming direct to the forum next time you have an issue as the help is free and fast, you can use this link http://www.avast.com/resend-license-paid.php to get your licenses resent.

propheticus

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 12:09:41 PM »
What good is a resend of the same license if this does not work? He's got the license file.
Fact of the matter is the telephone customer support is some 3rd party that tries to make money by upselling 'service'. It might be true that the online ticket system or forum delivers better support, but don't offer a telephone line then! An outsourced bad quality helpdesk (India?) does more harm than good for your customer's experience and your company's reputation.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 12:20:30 PM »
What good is a resend of the same license if this does not work? He's got the license file.
Fact of the matter is the telephone customer support is some 3rd party that tries to make money by upselling 'service'. It might be true that the online ticket system or forum delivers better support, but don't offer a telephone line then! An outsourced bad quality helpdesk (India?) does more harm than good for your customer's experience and your company's reputation.
The license file given by third party support didn't work which is why I supplied the link so they should have better luck with that.