Author Topic: avast! Online Security add-on causing lag?  (Read 13725 times)

scriptomania

avast! Online Security add-on causing lag?
« on: December 04, 2013, 11:55:18 PM »
Hi there! I have the free edition of avast! (2014.9.0.2008) and also avast! online security (9.0.2006.53) for firefox (25.0.1). Now, I'm having some lag issues when searching through google. I thought to myself right away, wondering what could cause it and realised that I recently updated avast!. So I did a test and disabled the avast! online security add-on, restarted firefox, then searched through google. I found out the search results quickly appeared, with no lag/delay. This lag is so strong that, there's times where firefox will stop responding, also not only with google searching, but quite of few webpages appear slowly(freezing, more likely).
Don't think it might be my computer or my internet speed.. In the paragraph above, I stated that I saw a huge improvment between having it enabled then disabling it, went from slow to fast.

I re-enabled avast! online security for the sake of safety. But still annoyed with the slowness it causes.

Anybody else have the same problem? Is there a way to fix this? or is the cause just because it's in beta.

Side note: I also have IObit Advanced SystemCare, and IObit Advanced SystemCare Surfing Protection add-on for firefox. But I already disabled the surfing protection first and restarting firefox, before disabling avast! Online Security. IObit surfing protection is not causing any lag or problem to browsing. It's as soon as I disabled avast! Online Security and restarted firefox, the lag was gone. Though, I don't know if there's compatibility issues between the 2 programs, that I haven't noticed yet. I know Advanced SystemCare is also an Anti-virus(mainly an Anti-Malware) but then again it has some pretty neat features that I don't see in any other program.

Thanks in advanced!

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: avast! Online Security add-on causing lag?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 12:15:44 AM »
Do like I did, disable the AOS in each browser. AOS is not essential for protection.
That fixed it here. Then again I use PrivDog, it does the same thing.
By the way .2008 is a full release.

Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

scriptomania

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 12:36:29 AM »
Do like I did, disable the AOS in each browser. AOS is not essential for protection.
That fixed it here. Then again I use PrivDog, it does the same thing.
By the way .2008 is a full release.

So, avast! Online Security really has no essential protection to it anyways? I agree to the fact, it seems very simular to all those other website safe checking add-ons out there. Would I rather stick with avast! Internet Security(thinking that might have more protection and is actually ment for internet security protection), instead of the free add-on? In my opinion, I'd like to be completely safe in everything! As in, having an anti-virus, anti-malware and a full protective internet security!

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 03:09:09 AM »
I'm not seeing any lag with Firefox 25.0.1, but I'm not running IObit Advanced SystemCare.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 03:37:55 AM »
Part of your problem could be on account of IObit. My advice is uninstall anything that has to do with IObit.
Read these...
https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/4775-iobit-steals-malwarebytes-intellectual-property?page=2
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=33217
Instead you will be well served by using CCleaner as a tune-up tool.
For more info check out our signatures for what we use. Mine is right below this post.

As far as AOS goes, I don't feel that it does any good. Therefore you can safely disable it.
With AIS you have more features than "Free" has to offer.
See http://www.avast.com/en-us/compare-antivirus  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

ozyman

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 02:50:50 AM »
With Firefox 26.0 under Windows 8.1, I suffer lags. I disabled all extensions and re-enabled them one by one. Lags did not occur until AOS was re-enabled. For example,...
  - AOS enabled: news.google.com very slow, as are other sites with many hyperlinks.
  - AOS disabled: no prolonged lags.
The lags are so prolonged that running with AOS enabled ruins the browsing experience.

My impression is that with earlier versions of Firefox, lags were not so dramatic, but I don't intend to back-level to check this.

al3lka

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 03:16:54 AM »
same problem here. but strange enough, AOS does not makes chrome or IE become lag.

jimzachary

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 11:17:06 AM »
and yes on pc too i have firefox 27 01 an dso slow on startup why want too fix it help

I'm using Chrome version 33 and I had to disable the Avast plugin this AM because of page change delays of 10 seconds or more.

I have the Pro version of Avast on Windows 7 32-bit.