Author Topic: why does avast 2014 collects information?  (Read 11257 times)

.Nightwolf.

why does avast 2014 collects information?
« on: December 05, 2013, 09:23:50 AM »
I've been using avast for years with pleasure. Now i get a message that there's a program update. When i want to install it i get the message that avast collects and sends information from the computer. Sorry but i won't allow the installation then. I'm gonne search another free scanner then. I don't like this kind of things... too bad for avast. Hope they ever gonna change this again!!!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: why does avast 2014 collects information?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 09:43:25 AM »
no private info... it is info about files checked against known clean files

all AV are doing this now, and those who dont are working on it

around 200 000 new malware files are found evry day, so this is one way of handling that large amount of malware found, checking files against reputation

http://www.av-test.org/en/statistics/malware/

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:47:49 AM by Pondus »

.Nightwolf.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 12:32:44 PM »
Thanks for your explanation Pondus. I didn't know that. Just was a bit worried by that message. Maybe i'll change my thoughts later. Still gonna wait a while for the update.

kodl

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 04:57:54 PM »
No matter WHAT information is Avast collecting, don't you thing it should be CUSTOMER right to decide when, what and who is collecting ANYTHING?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 05:08:44 PM »
No matter WHAT information is Avast collecting, don't you thing it should be CUSTOMER right to decide when, what and who is collecting ANYTHING?
if you want a AV with lower protection rate...turn it off

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 05:58:24 PM »
The "non-personal" information avast is collecting is to provide the user base with better protection.
If my information is used to help protect another user...great!
It's called "the cloud" for a reason. But if you don't want to help
avast and their users with better protection, so be it.

Good luck with an inferior product.

By the way your ISP has a record on every website you have ever visited.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

bioxx750

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 06:11:33 PM »

That's quite a bold statement. Are you really involved in the development of the the AVs out there or are you just guessing?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 06:32:35 PM »

That's quite a bold statement. Are you really involved in the development of the the AVs out there or are you just guessing?

It is the trend. More and more we are seeing more software using "the cloud" to improve their product(s).

edit: Both Pondus and myself are users like you and are not employed by avast. We are users dedicated to
        assisting others with their avast.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 06:35:06 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 10:02:29 AM »

no guesswork

McAfee 2008.  http://arstechnica.com/security/2008/09/mcafee-moving-to-the-cloud-for-antivirus-protection/

or F-secure.  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=post;quote=1031140;topic=141918.0;last_msg=1031157
Cloud-based, real-time protection against all online threats   

Norman.  http://www.norman.com/home_and_small_office/products/norman_antivirus
Faster threat identification through cloud-based real time technology ensures that the protection is always up to date.

Kaspersky  http://blog.kaspersky.com/ksn/

so surf the websites of Panda (the one that started with it)  / Norton / TrendMicro / Bitdefender......
and you find the same

« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 04:26:52 PM by Pondus »

bioxx750

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 06:22:32 PM »

no guesswork

Blatant misdirect. Nobody was talking about the cloud. Besides, it wouldn't necessary to send info to Avast just to get cloud updates. The info, that's what it was about.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 06:38:55 PM »

no guesswork

Blatant misdirect. Nobody was talking about the cloud. Besides, it wouldn't necessary to send info to Avast just to get cloud updates. The info, that's what it was about.

And they use the cloud to get the information.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 06:46:46 PM »

no guesswork

Sorry but your prior posts did indirectly point towards using the cloud as an additional enhancement to off-line based detections.

Reply #6 and the text you quoted was in relation avast using the cloud for the transmission/receipt of files active/being scanned. So quoting only a small part of the post, is taking it in isolation and out of context. And the fact that other AVs are doing the same to improve overall detections.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kodl

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 10:14:04 PM »
...."By the way your ISP has a record on every website you have ever visited.".... By the way my ISP  has no record on every website I visited. I'm the one who decide what and when they record any website!  Did you ever heard about TOR?

Offline Cast

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 11:13:38 PM »
Even Tor isnt secure like that, im sure your isp still has some info on you.

bikemanAMD

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 12:03:17 AM »
If Cloud information on files helps Avast make for better protection, then i'm all for it, as All Av's are doing this type of thing nowadays.   As No personal identifiable information states is sent, then that has no problem with myself, and For the top notch protection from internet based threats, then that is great... 

When using an Antivirus you have to have some trust when using the programs...I'm sure Microsoft MSE/Windows Defender do same thing or something similar with there Malware Active Protection Service built into there antivirus.   Though personally I tend to trust Avast more myself, as they've been in business in the security field numerous years...