Author Topic: Are Host Based Games a risk?  (Read 1896 times)

YellowFox

Are Host Based Games a risk?
« on: December 05, 2013, 08:43:03 PM »
Hey guys

I've been unable to find much documentation on if Host based games are a risk or not. What I mean is in games like Payday 2 and Warframe which use Host based online rather than dedicated servers is the Host at risk of being hit with a virus or anything else while running the game and allowing people to join or vice-verse. In Payday 2 I've seen multiple hackers running around with cheats on and I'm somewhat worried that that is not all they can do.

Fox

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Are Host Based Games a risk?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 12:04:28 AM »
There is always a risk.
You can check the website(s) using virustotal.
virustotal also gives links to "sucuri sitecheck" and "quttera".
virustotal allows a user to test either a file or a url
https://www.virustotal.com/en/#url
You can also test a url at http://zulu.zscaler.com/
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

YellowFox

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 03:59:13 PM »
This isn't about URL's it's about game lobby's and servers. If a game doesn't have a dedicated server then a user has to create one thus he is the Host. While these servers are only up for a short time they give any person a connection to your computer in a sense. What I'm worried about is when someone connects to me or when I connect to someone do I suddenly become at risk? So far from what I've seen the hackers can only manipulate the server on their end EX. Unlimited life, Ammo and other such things other people in the sever aren't given these powers. But I've also seen them spawn in things meaning they can mess with the server. This is where my worry comes in. I'm worried that they might be able to send something to my computer while they are connected or that the host will be able to infect whoever joins.

Fox.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 05:34:55 PM »
Hackers have the know-how to infect servers with all kinds of malware.
An example would be a "backdoor trojan", along with other sundry malware/spyware.
So, yes there is always a risk.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 05:48:17 PM »