Author Topic: Avast4 overhead and slowdown  (Read 3429 times)

Anderson2

Avast4 overhead and slowdown
« on: June 10, 2005, 05:17:35 PM »
How much overhead does Avast4 use up?

I have a laptop with a Pentium4, 2.66 GHz, 512 RAM running XP Home and I have noticed a significant slowdown during downloading email since I installed Avast. (I used to have AVG).

I have dialup and I realized that one of the main culprits for the slowdown was Avast automatically downloading as soon as I was connected.  I now changed that to having Avast notify me of virus upgrades so I can download them when it is best for me.

But I was wondering if others with dialup have noticed a significant slowdown with Avast and how they dealt with it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast4 overhead and slowdown
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 05:31:46 PM »
I have dialup and I realized that one of the main culprits for the slowdown was Avast automatically downloading as soon as I was connected. I now changed that to having Avast notify me of virus upgrades so I can download them when it is best for me.
I used dial-up until last year and I used avast with dial-up for almost two years. I never noticed a major connection downgrade on avast checking the updates. It will take very little resources. But, if it's better for you check it manually...

Other thing is WebShield provider, you can check if disabling it, in your case, the speed increases in a significan ammount...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 08:01:25 PM »
I still use dial up and there really is little overhead, shortly after I connect, avast checks for updates, if there is one and I want to update then (and I usually do), I click the pop-up.

Since I'm on dial up I set mine to notify me of updates not automatically update, so avast is very flexible, not to mention the avast VPS updates are much, much faster than AVG's updates as the updates are only the latest signatures and not downloading the whole database.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Anderson2

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 09:44:02 PM »
Thanks. I figured that my slowdown was caused by Avast automatically updating while I was downloading my email.  I set it to not do that but notify my instead and that has restored things to normal.