Author Topic: UI changes with every update - Seriously who likes that?  (Read 1988 times)

Legbiter

UI changes with every update - Seriously who likes that?
« on: December 08, 2013, 06:56:00 AM »
Most of my Avast issues are due to stupid changes to the User Interface. 

Personally I don't have the time to waste on these senseless changes - "If It Isn't Broke, Don't Fix It". 

Yes update the Engine and Definitions, you need to, but the UI can stay the same surely !!!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: UI changes with every update - Seriously who likes that?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 07:21:55 AM »
No, the UI can't stay the same.
With new functions/removed functions etc, the UI has to change accordingly.
Ofcourse it is a matter of personal taste if you like the new UI or not.

But if you have issues/problems, please mention them and we will try to solve them together with you.

Legbiter

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 09:46:32 PM »
1. You have failed to answer the question.

2. Do you really believe that the Look of Avast is forced on them by some vagaries inherent in the algorithms?  That with all the power, sophistication and dollars now invested in this company that the look, feel and cohesiveness of the product that their very survival depends on is left to chance?  That a major marketing point is left to fate? Think again. 

The graphical menu can be configured in any way they see fit, which is patently evident on several levels. 
What we are seeing is someone being paid extremely well to design the UI.  So he/she continually designs radically new UIs as job justification, busy work, stuff being done for self gain rather than customer benefit. 

Ever had a car with really great seats, then replaced it to find the next model's seats suck - that's designers redesigning to keep busy. . .  That is what we are seeing here. 

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 12:04:44 AM »
1)
How can I (or anybody else) fail to answer a question if you never asked one?

2)
Yes, you should think again. I never said the look should change, I only said there has to be changes to the UI because of changed options and such.

No, they are not redesigning the UI just because they can or get paid for it.
They change it because they believe it is more convenient to the users.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 03:59:55 AM »
Hi Legbiter,

Being a "designer" myself, I (somewhat) believe in keeping up with the latest trends. It's like comparing previous versions of Windows to Windows 8.

Personally, I absolutely hate a design I made after seeing it for a few months. I feel that it could be better and that it can be nicer.

Chrome, IE11, Foxit Reader, and many of my other applications have changed their design patterns to reflect new trends. Just recently the right click in Chrome is now flat and Foxit Reader now has a flat interface by default (like Microsoft Office 2013), etc.

I rarely (if ever) open avast!'s user interface. But when I do, the simple user interface makes it quick to see where things are. The big buttons, I assume, were also added to reflect the increase in touchscreens.

~!Donovan

Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 04:14:50 PM »
Personally I don't like change. But I do realize that with major changes to the software itself
changes must be made to the GUI. I accept that and can move on. I don't stare at the GUI, I
have better things to do with my time. I set it up according to my preferences and forget it.  8)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.