Author Topic: Updating  (Read 1555 times)

Redstag1

Updating
« on: December 08, 2013, 10:16:31 AM »

This post could be somewhere else on the forum. I think I posted it but I cannot find it. The site is very confusing for a first time user. How do you find your posts and any replies. Can someone email to tell me how to find this post if it ever actually gets posted?

The word puzzles are also a nightmare to read.

I recently had problems with Avast failing to update. I went to Control Panel, Add Remove programs. I clicked remove and selected REPAIR. I now have a completely different version of Avast homepage.

I am, concerned that I do not get the voice message that used to tell me that AVAST has been updated although if I click on the little orange ball on the bottom right it says everything is OK.

I cannot find a manual update button anywhere on the new homepage.

Is my version OK and working properly?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Updating
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 02:16:22 PM »
1. You only have one post.

2. When you log on to the forum your user name is displayed at the top left along with other information. One piece of information is 'Show new replies to your posts.' clicking that would show a list of all topics that you either created or posted in that have new replies.

You can also click the Profile menu item (big orange bar at the top of pages), here you can click the 'Show Posts' and that will display a list of your posts at the top of each is a link so you can go to that post. As far as I'm aware the default setting in the Profile settings is to email the forum member when a reply is received in your topic.

3. The captcha (word puzzles) are an anti-spam measure to combat bot spamming, they are only there for the first three posts.

4. There are several topics relating to the lack of avast voice, strange popup on auto virus definition updates. This is a known bug.
If you browse the forums you will see several topics relating to a known bug about updates.
1. no auto update notification popup (commonly displays an avast! tip - Ad, instead).
2. no audio voice over for the auto update.
3. the popup delay timings don't appear to work either.

5. Just right click on the avast tray icon and you will see Update, hover over that and you get two other selections - choose Engine and virus definitions. Or Click on the avast icon to open the avastUI, select Settings, select Update and chose Virus Definitions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline snowflake1

Re: Updating
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 04:49:49 PM »
AS you say you now have a completely different  ? home page? for Avast...Do you happen to know which version of Avast you now have on that machine?

Do you know from where you downloaded it ?
As said above, many of us have also had very difficult problems with updating Avast and a manual update can be done from within the program ; have you tried to do that yet?