Author Topic: Resident Protection Disabled  (Read 3337 times)

allyoung

Resident Protection Disabled
« on: June 11, 2005, 02:12:46 AM »
Hi.  Recently my Window Security Center reported "avast! 4.6.665 was turned off".  Although I turned it back on several times, later I find out after startup that each time it reverts back to "Disabled".  Other error msg's I have seen include "The specified provider was not initialized - Cannot start resident protection task", and yet other recent error msg's logged include "ODBC function SQL configDataSource () failed"   I'm at a loss to fix it.  Anyone had this problem?  Any fixes would be appreciated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Resident Protection Disabled
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 03:02:41 AM »
You may try to open the <avast>\data\avast4.ini file and in the [Common] section, change the item Database=ODBC to Database=XML. This could prevent the Microsoft Jet drivers from accessing the database... does it have any (positive) effect?

See an automated option here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14208.msg120224#msg120224
The best things in life are free.

allyoung

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 10:28:28 PM »
I made the change but, alas, the problem continues.  Your help is much appreciated.

allyoung

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 01:06:31 AM »
Mystery Solved!  After looking in the "Task" folder and reviewing the "Resident Protection" Task, I discovered the "Default" setting had been inadvertently turned off.  So it was easily resolved, and upon restarting the computer, and checking Control Panel "Security" I was able to confirm the avast! antivirus was initiating properly and running continuously.  So, anyone setting up tasks (scan criteria or scheduling scans) should make sure the "Resident Protection" default setting does not get turned off, which would leave your PC unprotected.