Author Topic: Be careful of which antispyware you're using...  (Read 15781 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Be careful of which antispyware you're using...
« on: June 11, 2005, 04:14:04 AM »
The following programs are not recommended because they install spyware themselves, just aren't any good at fixing spyware, or somewhere in between:

AdProtector
AdwareHunter (adwarehunter.com/browser-page.com)
AdWareRemoverGold (adwareremovergold.com)
BPS Spyware & Adware Remover (bulletproofsoft.com) -- AdAware knockoff,
InternetAntiSpy (internetantispy.com)
NoAdware (noadware.net/netpalnow.com)
Online PC-Fix SpyFerret
PurityScan (purityscan.com/puritysweep.com)
Real AdWareRemoverGold (adwareremovergold.com/sg08.biz)
Spybouncer (spybouncer.com)
SpyAssault (spyassault.com)
SpyBan (spyban.net) -- noadware clone
SpyBlast (spyblast.com/advertising.com)
Spyblocs/eBlocs.com (eblocs.com)
SpyDeleter (spydeleter.com/209.50.251.182)
SpyEliminator (securetactics.com) -- dead?
SpyFerret (onlinepcfix.com) -- also Lop Uninstaller, Xupiter Uninstaller
SpyGone (spygone.com) -- SpyBot S&D ripoff
SpyHunter (enigmasoftwaregroup.com\spywareremove.com\spybot-spyware.com\
SpyKiller (spy-killer.com/maxionsoftware.com/spykiller.com/spykillerdownload.com/
SpyKillerPro (spykillerpro.com)
Spyware Annihilator (solidlabs.com)
SpywareBeGone (spywarebegone.com\freespywarescan.org)
SpywareCleaner (»www.checkforspyware.com/ - »www.spw2a.com/sc/)
SpywareCrusher (spywarecrusher.com)
SpywareInfoooo.com
SpywareKilla (spywarekilla.com)
SpywareNuker (spywarenuker.com/trekblue.com/trekdata.com/spyware-killer.com/
SpywareRemover (spy-ware-remover.com/spywareremover.com)
SpywareThis (spywarethis.com)
Spyware X Terminator
SpywareZapper (spywarezapper.com) -- looks like it may be TZ Spyware Adware Remover
SpyWiper (mailwiper.com)
ssppyy pro (ssppyy.com)
TZ Spyware Adware Remover (trackzapper.com)
VBouncer/AdDestroyer (spywarelabs.com/virtualbouncer.com)
Warnet (warnet.com)
XoftSpy (download-spybot.com/paretologic.com/downloadspybot.com/no-spybot.com) - this may be a SpyHunter clone
ZeroSpyware (zerospyware.com/zeroads.com)
The best things in life are free.

inconnu

Re: Be careful of which antispyware you're using...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 08:17:50 AM »
What can you say about scum-mongers like these? >:(  Some poor sod tries to protect his/her system, and ends up with even more problems.  And there are "lots" of these out there.  Spyware Warrior has a descriptive list of these type scams ... their list just hit 200! :o

Anyone wanting to add spyware protection needs to research the candidate first, to make sure it's legitimate.  The page above also has a section on good anti-spyware products.  Worth bookmarking.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 07:39:16 PM »
Seems only Lavasoft Ad-aware SE and Spybot S&D are good, safe and free

MFB

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 07:46:32 PM »
Also MS Antispyware, but that program is gonna be a paid antispyware.  Best to enjoy the free version while it last.  ;D

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 09:17:35 PM »
Seems only Lavasoft Ad-aware SE and Spybot S&D are good, safe and free

Hi Ylap, Yes these two are very important but always in combination with a pro-active program the three work together also and mention each other: you should mention
 SpywareBlaster. For a quick scan I also have bazooka. It only scans and help you search for a solution, then for a good anti-spyware solution you need HijackThis, StartDreck, StartupList, ASVIEWER, FileAlyzer. For checksums EasyIntegrityChecker, all free, good and reliable programs to keep your comp malware free. To find trojans I use
a-squared.

All the best,

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 09:30:51 PM »
Spyware Blaster actually is not real anti-spyware, it prevents from getting spyware into system. Lavasoft and Spybot Search and destroy removes it. For additional protection from trojans using EWIDO. This is Everest security report.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 09:32:45 PM by Ylap »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 10:05:16 PM »
Howdy Ylap,

This Ewido is this really that good, as they say?  It is free, isn't it. Maybe I have to try it.

polonus

Max M.Wachtel III

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 10:36:13 PM »
Here is a good list of bad scanners
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm
-max

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 11:39:03 PM »
Hi Max,

Yep this is the place to go and check. Everybody should know this address, and it is indeed the address that spywarewarrior advises to visit. Spyware is a growing threat. Have you ever seen the site of Ben Edelman and what he publishes there on WhenU. The arrogance of the spyware makers and those who spy on users and the sites that use there services is really beyond belief. Webmasters just stating they need for instance Red Sheriff Survey code that  places a cookie anyuser@cgi-bin[1].txt by sensis.xxx.au
& others. Hope you blocked them in your hosts file. Red Sheriff Survey code can establish the fact that one person twice or two different persons once visited their site, to better evaluate their ad tariff. This Australian script is going to go all over the world to spy on us every web-visit. But a good hosts file can help you stay clear. Hey, Max a new week has begun for you. Make it a good one,

regards,

polonus

Jarmo P

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 12:08:51 AM »
Spyware Blaster actually is not real anti-spyware, it prevents from getting spyware into system.

Hehe, seems very much anti to me. More than on demand scanners :P.

That link given by Max is good. Also the programs on BBR sticky are all good ones:
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,13632554

kamulko

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2005, 12:20:23 AM »
I tried Ewido. Seems good but seems also a little "sniffer"... I will be not surprised if, in the future, someone will discover spyware-like features in this program. :-\

inconnu

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2005, 03:43:27 AM »
I hope it doesn't go bad, Kamulko!  I've been using Ewido for over a year, I guess, and it seems to be good.  I also use a-squared for trojans.

I remember (I think) when the current version came out last year and I updated, it seems some features were removed from the free version. (Not a good sign.) Again, if memory serves, it acted as the full version for maybe a month, and then became the free version if you didn't subscribe.  I think I had some problems with the resident trojan protection slowing my system down, so I disabled all the extras from the beginning.  In my experience, the free version seems to be a good trojan scanner with frequent updates.

In light of your comments, I'll be careful about installing a new version.  But I haven't noticed anything bad about it, so far. 

MFB

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2005, 06:57:03 AM »
Spyhunter was the first antispyware that I installed.  It detected like 190 spywares in my cookie folders alone even thought I clean out my cookie folder.   ::) I had to pay to acually remove them all.  Such a big scam  >:(.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2005, 07:23:16 AM »
This Ewido is this really that good, as they say?  It is free, isn't it. Maybe I have to try it.

It's two months I have Ewido, and I'm quite happy with it. It's free, although the free version does not scan archives.  :(

inconnu

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2005, 08:30:25 AM »
... Webmasters just stating they need for instance Red Sheriff Survey code that  places a cookie anyuser@cgi-bin[1].txt by sensis.xxx.au
& others. Hope you blocked them in your hosts file. Red Sheriff Survey code can establish the fact that one person twice or two different persons once visited their site, to better evaluate their ad tariff. This Australian script is going to go all over the world to spy on us every web-visit. But a good hosts file can help you stay clear. ...

Redsheriff has been on my list for a while now.  I thought I'd post my hosts entries for redsheriff/imrworld, but when I started going through my hosts file I found over 500 (!) of their sites.  Way too many to post in this thread, so I started another one, here  just for those entries.

Copy, paste, & enjoy.  And also use one or more good updated hosts files!