Author Topic: Avast 4.6 boot time scan loads a black screen on start-up....  (Read 4339 times)

milofhead

Greetings,

After searching through the forums I unfortunately cannot find a resolution to my problem. 

After scheduling a boot-time scan (I am infected with both reginv.dll and winkey.dll (whoch is in memory))  my laptop restarts to a black screen.  It seems to have hard disk activity, but obviously, since I cannot see anything, I am really not sure what it's doing.  By pressing ESC, I can resume startup and successfully log on to windows but the viruses are still there. (which isn't that unexpected)   

After reviewing the forum http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=6960.0 I did check my boot.ini file but found no trace of a /noguiboot option within the file (which makes sense because I have never installed SoftICE).   

I am running WinXP Home on a Dell Inspiron 2600.

For your convinence I have attached both boot.ini.txt (created text file) and aswboot.log.txt

I guess I should note that my boot time scans have never worked in the past.  All I have ever gotten is the black screen. (so the virus doesn't seem to be the reason why)   

Any suggestions?? (Hopefully....)

niko

Re: Avast 4.6 boot time scan loads a black screen on start-up....
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 12:09:52 AM »
Hi Milofhead and welcome on Avast! forum,
I've made a surch concerning your pb, you should try this:
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
Maybe this will help you concerning winkey.dll trojan ::)

milofhead

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 05:10:54 AM »
Thanks for the reply!!!

Ok, well I will try that and I'll let you know how it goes, but it still doesn't solve the problem with the boot-time scan loading a black screen.  (It loads it right after the Windows logo) 

Any other suggestions that might help???  Thanks!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 08:46:07 AM »
Hmm, that is very strange. I don't see anything suspicious in the boot.ini file (unfortunately)...

Maybe you could try adding

/bootlogo

to the list of switches (after /Execute). But chances that it will actually help are low... :-\
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 08:55:47 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

milofhead

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 09:50:54 AM »
ok, so niko's program did not remove the trojan.

What I have discovered is that the winkey.dll file is part of the Prorat virus.  With more research I also discovered that there are more than 1 prorat programs (and essentially more than one viruses).  More specifically, I was infected with Prorat 1.9    So, after following the removal instructions on the symantec website it seems to be gone.  Unfortunately this has not solved the mystery behind the Avast! boot-time scan (or lack thereof)

I tried putting in /bootlogo but that (as expected) did not help either. (much appreciation for the suggestion tho...)

If you have any other "stabs in the dark" you think might help let me know. 

Thanks again guys....

JuiCe.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 09:19:28 AM »
Has this been resolved?  I am getting the same problem on my Dell Dimension 4400.  However, after uninstalling avast!, the problem still remains after 3 reboots.  If anyone finds the answer to this puzzle please post.  I will do the same!