Author Topic: com.avast.MacAvast.MAD eating up to 700%+ of my CPUs!  (Read 3801 times)

jimmueller

com.avast.MacAvast.MAD eating up to 700%+ of my CPUs!
« on: December 03, 2013, 05:59:34 PM »
Lately Avast's com.avast.MacAvast.MAD process has been eating up almost every free CPU cycle on our multi-core Macs.
I can quit the process but in a half hour it's back to 400% or higher.

Is there any way to limit in the Mac version how much CPU time to let it grab - or at least how many cores it can monopolize? It really does make Photoshop and all web browsers run sluggish. When I quit that process everything runs as snappy as before, but as com.avast.MacAvast.MAD's CPU% creeps up everything bogs down again.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: com.avast.MacAvast.MAD eating up to 700%+ of my CPUs!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 08:01:11 PM »
Lately Avast's com.avast.MacAvast.MAD process has been eating up almost every free CPU cycle on our multi-core Macs.
This is for sure a bug in the avast scan engine and I'm afraid, that until we fix it, there is no other solution than to
kill the avast engine, when this issue occurs.

Is there any way to limit in the Mac version how much CPU time to let it grab - or at least how many cores it can monopolize?
No

soundyou

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 12:20:22 PM »
 Same Issue...

More CPU Usage Than Installed Mavericks.

jimmueller

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 07:10:22 PM »
This is for sure a bug in the avast scan engine and I'm afraid, that until we fix it, there is no other solution than to
kill the avast engine, when this issue occurs.
If there are any logs I can send to help eliminate this please let me know.

Is there any way to limit in the Mac version how much CPU time to let it grab - or at least how many cores it can monopolize?
No
Well, those should probably go on the Wish List then.

jimmueller

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 12:45:59 PM »
Only appears to be constant occurance on our Macs running MacOS 10.8.
Those keeping with Snow Leopard (MacOS 10.6.8) only see it happen once a week or so.

jimmueller

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 06:31:27 PM »
At some time during the previous day the com.avast.MacAvast.MAD process has dropped to reasonable levels. Perhaps they found it was something in the definitions that was eating up the CPUs and fixed it.
com.avast.MacAvast.MAD hasn't gone over 100% CPU usage all day. (knock wood)