Author Topic: Avast 2014 Blocking Anything Related To Google  (Read 3855 times)

rusty07

Avast 2014 Blocking Anything Related To Google
« on: December 07, 2013, 09:26:15 AM »
I'm stumped.

I switched from AVG to Avast about five years ago, and I haven't regretted it. However, things have gotten so bad with Avast 2014 that I am thinking about dumping it for Microsoft Security Essentials or Vipre. It seems that I cannot surf the web due to Avast blocking anything related to Google. Many web sites use Google syndication, fonts, etc., and as soon as these items try to load, Avast stops my web pages from loading or only allows partial loading.

I have tried various system restore points, repairing the antivirus product, and even removing Avast with their special removal tool, and installing a fresh Avast download, but nothing has helped. The only way I could even come here and post this question is by disabling Avast.  :o

For what it's worth, I am running Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) with IE 11 and Firefox 25.0.1. Neither browser can function properly unless Avast is disabled, and I have tried running Firefox in safe mode, but no joy there either. IE 11 has little or no plugins to begin with. In addition, I do not have any Avast plugins installed, either, nor the sandbox.

I talk on various computer forums, and it seems that many folks are upset with the latest version of Avast and have either dumped it or gone back to version 8.

I hate reverting to old software (version eight), and I hate to switch antivirus programs, but I am getting desperate.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 09:28:27 AM by rusty07 »

propheticus

Re: Avast 2014 Blocking Anything Related To Google
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 02:56:07 PM »
It's a problem that's common among many Avast users the last couple of days/weeks. The solution often seems to be disabling the Avast Online Security addon/plugin/extension.

When you say you don't have any Avast plugins installed, you mean no browser plugins or plugins for Avast? (the latter don't exist that I know of)
Furthermore, what version of Avast are you using and do you use any other security software?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 03:01:14 PM by propheticus »

rusty07

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 07:51:04 PM »
It's a problem that's common among many Avast users the last couple of days/weeks. The solution often seems to be disabling the Avast Online Security addon/plugin/extension.

When you say you don't have any Avast plugins installed, you mean no browser plugins or plugins for Avast? (the latter don't exist that I know of)
Furthermore, what version of Avast are you using and do you use any other security software?

I don't have any Avast browser plugins installed, and I opted out of Avast Online Security during the install. I am using version 2014.9.0.2007.

I have some good news though - the problem I was having of late has seemingly fixed itself. Could the problem have been related to an antivirus update?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 08:01:06 PM »
Update to v2014.9.0.2008 and disable the AOS plug-in.
For now that seems to be the issue.

I'm not having any issues and I use Chrome as my default browser.
And with AOS disabled I can use IE and FF.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

rusty07

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 04:31:55 AM »
Update to v2014.9.0.2008 and disable the AOS plug-in.
For now that seems to be the issue.

I'm not having any issues and I use Chrome as my default browser.
And with AOS disabled I can use IE and FF.

AOS is not installed.

Thanks for the update notice, but my problem seemed to fix itself overnight before I read your post.  :)

Why is Avast having so much problems with version 9x ? Has the program been revamped or something?

dmetras

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 09:32:24 AM »
You can still use the AOS plugin and avoid this issue, if you'd prefer. Click its icon while visiting a Google site, and there will be a notch saying "Web Analytics blocked".

Hover over the switch, and it'll expand. Click the green switch for Google Analytics, and it'll turn red, showing that you now allow Google Analytics.

Pfft, like allowing Google Analytics is really an issue, you silly AOS. The web practically can't function on it these days.

rusty07

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 03:44:50 AM »
I've been using WOT (Web of Trust) instead of AOS. What's the added benefit of using AOS?

dmetras

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 08:12:50 AM »
I've been using WOT (Web of Trust) instead of AOS. What's the added benefit of using AOS?

The disabling of any web analytics you think are dubious would be the most notable one.

EDIT: It also blocks unwanted Ad Tracking. Even though Adblock and Adblock Plus get rid of most ads, the rest of the non-malicious ones are tracking you somehow. Even Firefox's Do Not Track feature can't stop that, I don't think.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 08:32:44 AM by dmetras »