Author Topic: Visual Studio 2013 extremely slow startup due to File System Shield  (Read 5012 times)

keanu81

Recently Visual Studio 2013 began to take extremely long during startup. It took more than 10 minutes loading from a SSD drive which is simply unacceptable.
I narrowed the cause down to Avast (version 2014.9.0.2013) - to the "File System Shield" to be exact. After I disabled this module VS started up within seconds like before.

I made a temporary work-around as I hope that the Avast team will find a solution to this problem. For that I tried to find out what's being loaded on VS startup and excluded the respective folders.

• Exclude the Visual Studio folder "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0"
  • Exclude additional folders of secondary/dependent components e.g. ...\Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft SDK, etc. - by now I was down to 2.5 minutes
  • Exclude "C:\Windows\assembly" so that .NET assemblies can be loaded. By doing that I fear I've made my system very vulnerable to attacks. However, VS now starts in 5 seconds.

This method seems to severely compromise my system's security. PLEASE AVAST TEAM, find a solution for efficiently loading .NET assemblies and the Visual Studio IDE. Right know I have to make an unacceptable trade-off between security and productivity.

Thanks and regards,

keanu81