Author Topic: Fix Automatically or Repair in Actions  (Read 14145 times)

winninh

Fix Automatically or Repair in Actions
« on: December 10, 2013, 07:07:55 PM »
Please tell me what the differences are between the Fix Automatically vs. Repair choices in Actions.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Fix Automatically or Repair in Actions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 07:14:02 PM »
What is the difference between a car with a automatic gearbox and a manual one? ;)

kodl

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 07:15:13 PM »
That's all you have? It is really not a smart answer.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 08:31:26 PM »
Automatic = It does things automatically
If you don't set it to do things automatically, you need to decide what action should be taken.
What is so hard to understand about that?

winninh

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 10:54:03 PM »
Eddy...In Scan settings, under actions, there's a check box to perform selected action automatically.  So, please assume I don't get the difference between Fix Automatically or Repair.  With the box check, I would assume that the action would be to Repair automatically.  So, again, what are the differences between Fix Automatically and Repair.  And, no flippant reply, please.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 09:45:51 AM »
The new version will show some hints about the actions.
Repair is something that works only for file infectors (rare today) - most malware is not possible to repair as there is no clean state to revert to, the file was simply created as malware from the beginning.
Fix automatically is currently a shortcut for "Try to Repair, if it fails, Move to Chest, and if even that fails, Delete".
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:47:42 AM by igor »

winninh

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 03:15:33 PM »
Thank you.

moznewbie

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 07:51:25 PM »
Is there any way to have a 'fix automatically' response that doesn't include delete?

My default settings are: Repair, Move to Chest, Do Nothing. I always took the view that it would be possible to delete something later if other programs also failed. Over-reacting early on always carries the risk of deleting something important even if this is rare. Avast documentation and advice seems to be limited or at least difficult to find. I'm inclined to stick with my settings unless told otherwise.

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
That's what I have for my settings.I wouldn't want anything automatically deleted because if its a false positive you could be screwed.I would leave your settings like they are.You could put ask after move to chest if possible.

Is there any way to have a 'fix automatically' response that doesn't include delete?

My default settings are: Repair, Move to Chest, Do Nothing. I always took the view that it would be possible to delete something later if other programs also failed. Over-reacting early on always carries the risk of deleting something important even if this is rare. Avast documentation and advice seems to be limited or at least difficult to find. I'm inclined to stick with my settings unless told otherwise.