Author Topic: Avast Grime Fighter vs. other pc cleaning tools.  (Read 64241 times)

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
Re: Avast Grime Fighter vs. other pc cleaning tools.
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 11:36:28 AM »
Oh thanks for the confirmation! Oh really, how long you have been using it for?
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 11:59:45 AM »
Since first or second beta version.I don't remember.

Arnold72

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 03:23:35 PM »
Driver Booster and other junkware products like it are pure rubbish and will lead to issues eventually.There is absolutely no need to update drivers on a regular basis unless the drivers are causing noticeable problems.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 09:04:11 PM »
Yeah I agree on you with that? Once the Intel drivers got updated, i immediately reversed the operation via Driver Booster to do a system restore only for the Intel driver to uninstall the new driver that got updated and re-install the old version of the Intel driver. That way, I know my laptop will not cause unnecessary issues i.e. BSOD and etc
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

propheticus

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 10:29:52 PM »
Driver Booster is cr*p, DevID does work kinda okay. Still caution is necessary when such a tool wants to replace/update drivers that are brand and/or specific for a certain product series (i.e. intel hd graphic drivers that are Acer laptop specific) with the default drivers from the device manufacturer.

Offline Cast

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 05:18:12 AM »
Ive used Slim Drivers and most of the time never had a problem. Only update I had an issue with was a wireless card update that I just undid and it worked fine after wards.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 02:38:19 PM »
Ive used Slim Drivers and most of the time never had a problem.
Is it still a freeware or you need to pay to download the drivers?
The best things in life are free.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 04:41:43 PM »
SlimDrivers is still a freeware, all driver updates are free as well, just that there is no batch update 8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 07:35:21 PM »
SlimDrivers is still a freeware, all driver updates are free as well, just that there is no batch update 8)
Thanks.
The best things in life are free.

thekochs

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 09:52:16 PM »
IMHO the best cleaner out there is CCleaner.
http://www.piriform.com
They are Microsoft certified........been around a LONG time.
You can pay for the scheduler version or use the FREE.
I use the FREE and various times during the day I'll right click on Recycle Bin & run CCleaner instead of just "empty recycle bin".
It takes just a few minutes and since a lot of viruses hide in temp folder this ALSO helps out there too.
My "defense" on PCs is Avast 8 (hope to upgrade to v9 when stable), MBAM PRO (no conflict with Avast), CryptoPrevent and CCleaner.
This combo keeps me well armed against most things....and also good habits of not going or downloading what I should not.

The problem with new software like Grimefighter or others is that they cause more problems than fix.
Plus, the problems they can cause because of the nature of what they do can BRICK a PC.
I would never run a reg cleaner from any 3rd party but if you must use CCleaner's....it does good job and does not jeopardize your PC.

RocketNut

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 09:31:25 PM »
The only problem I have with Grime Fighter is the internet hookup it needs. I connected to web through a 4G USB port. I do not have a WiFi connect at home. Meaning I have to go some where that has a WiFi signal ???
Maybe the next version will not need a WiFi connection.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:24:28 PM by RocketNut »

Offline akm

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2014, 02:03:26 AM »

Agree !!!
I wouldn't use anything other than CCleaner.  Maybe it cleans the least but for a good reason. Have been using it for years and it never ever caused a problem because of its usage. All other tools eventually cleaned something more than they should and they wrecked the system instead of fixing it. Not so with CCleaner.
Thanks again for your help! akm (W10, FireFox, Avast, PrivFirewall, MBAM)

REDACTED

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2014, 05:16:53 PM »
The problem I have with grimefighter... I pay for Avast Premium and feel grimefighter should come with it free, and not for another $30 a year.
That just seems like a ripoff to me, and I'd never pay that.

Offline sludge7051-x

• sludge7051-x
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2014, 02:25:30 PM »
I like the interface in IObit's Smart Defrag 3 . . . http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.php

They have things to buy under the Action Center tab, but there is no annoyance.

Previously, I was using the IObit Malware Fighter, also, as a second opinion on Malwarebytes, but it never found anything.  This was an extra 20 minutes of scanning that I determined I didn't need to do.  There was nothing annoying about it though.

Are these programs using hacked code?