Author Topic: manual update  (Read 5104 times)

2.mate

manual update
« on: June 12, 2005, 03:43:25 AM »
I downloaded Avast the other day. I used to have Norton AV and would download manually quite often even though it also downloaded automatically. I would like to do the same thing with Avast but don't know how to do it manually. I fell quite vulnerable since I don't know if it is working right.
Can someone please explain how to do it.
Thank you.
2.mate

MFB

Re: manual update
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 06:40:39 AM »
Run avast!>click on update virus database.  That will allow you to update avast! manually.

If you don't want the automatic update setting:

Click on Program Menu>Click "Settings">Go to "Update Basics"> Mark "Manual" for both "Virus database" and "Program".   ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 01:46:02 PM »
If you have set avast to update automatically (or even check) then it will check for updates every time you connect to the internet, or every 4 hours if you remain on line.

So you should feel warm and secure without the need to do a manual update periodically, unless you are talking of manually checking more frequently than every four hours (if connected all that time). For me on dial-up an automatic check for updates every time I connect is very frequent.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

2.mate

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 05:17:21 PM »
Thanks for your help. I have it set to update automatically. I just could not see it working and worried that something was not right. I have AVG on my other computer and that I can see when it updates.
2.mate

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 06:31:09 PM »
The checks are transparent unless there is an update available, you may occasionally see an icon on the system tray of  red and green arrow, this is the updating icon.

For an ad-hoc manual update, right click the avast icon, Updating, iAVS or Program Update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 07:41:02 PM »
I have AVG on my other computer and that I can see when it updates.
AVG has a count down message that warns you about an update.
Avast has a system tray icon, a message (without count down) and/or a blue panel (with count down).
Welcome to the most configurable antivirus  8)
If you want more, click 'Settings' in my signature and browse for tweaks.
The best things in life are free.