Author Topic: email problem after 10/07 update  (Read 7886 times)

martouk

email problem after 10/07 update
« on: October 09, 2003, 11:06:58 AM »

After receiving the auto-update on 10-07 for Avast4, my Outlook Express refuses to connect to my mailserver. My email will not transmit or receive from the server. I sent and received email just before receiving the update and all was well . My email has not worked correctly since I downloaded the new version. Help!!!

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re:email problem after 10/07 update
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 04:44:22 PM »
You got error message like "Cannot connect to 127.0.0.1" ? Is the provider 'Internet Mail' in the on-access scanner running ?

techie101

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 04:49:11 PM »
IN addition to what Voj has said.....

Are you referring to the update from 268 to 278?
This update has caused some problems with the download which may have caused your settings to change.

Please run the Mail Wizard to check the settings for your Pop3 and SMTP.  Server address should read 127.0.0.1 as Voj has mentioned in his post.

I would recommend updating the program manually to the latest version (280).
Even though this update was hurriedly put out to correct the problems with downloading 278, you should get a clean update this time.  No other notable changes were included in the 280 update.

Also, do you operate behind a firewall?
Do you use a proxy server filter up front?

Thanks,
techie  ;)

martouk

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 07:58:50 PM »
The problem appears to be one way. I can receive from my provider, I cannot send. On attempting to send I get

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'postoffice.worldnet.att.net', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 Server 'postoffice.worldnet.att.net' unavailable', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC6F

I do use a NetDefense firewall. I have uninstalled Avast and tried to send mail, no good. Have reinstalled and tried to send with the firewall disabled. I do not think I use a proxy filter up front.

That I can receive mail shows that my provider server is operating, I just cannot access it for outgoing. I will try and update again and see what happens.

martouk

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2003, 09:02:07 PM »
Followed instructions, manually updated !Avast, outgoing mail problem still occurring - same error message. Any further suggestions so I don't have to go through the recovery process on this issue?

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2003, 09:25:07 AM »
Your SMTP server is probably out of order.

martouk

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2003, 10:01:57 AM »
I did a system software recovery and the email works fine. I have not yet reloaded the antivirus software. Am a bit hesitant to at this point. Too much time investment to keep doing recoveries. I think something in the update corrupted my outgoing settings somehow. I went through the system troubleshooting process and really had no other option than to recover. Thanks for your help.

techie101

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2003, 04:06:12 PM »
martouk,

I apologize for not getting back to you on your problem but the MY SQL server went down last night that powers this forum.

I wanted to tell you that a recovery was not necessary.

From the information you provided, I noticed that somehow, the server "name" was changed for the SMTP.  ATT requires that it read mailhost.worldnet.att.net, NOT postoffice.worldnet.att.net.  The latter is for use with the POP3 side only.

I have had this happen to me personally and it had nothing to do with AVAST directly.

This could have been solved easily by going into OE and locating the Account Properties tab and resetting the names and ports.

Should you wish to try AVAST again (and I hope you do), please make sure that ALL other Windows programs are shut down and that you have NO other anti-virus program installed (even if it is a manual scanner).  Avast does not like competition. hahaha

I have used Avast now on W98, ME and XP with MS Outlook and OE will little problem.

Sometimes a new installation will corrupt a file somewhere else in the computer even though it should not.

Recovery is a long process.  Again, I am sorry I could not answer your post sooner.

Good luck,
 :D

martouk

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2003, 08:36:23 PM »
I went ahead and reinstalled Avast - no problems. One last question. How the heck do I uninstall McAfee virus software. Is it not 'hard-coded' within Microsoft? I've never been able to figure out how to do it. I just Disable it. You guys are great in your support (you can't help the hardware failing).

PS-Recovery only took 2 hours this time (seems to be a common problem with Millenium - my Millenium doesn't like IE6 either!).

techie101

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2003, 11:58:17 PM »
martouk,

Now what made me think you had another antivirus on your computer! We practice mind computer reading in the forum.  hahahaha  Another AV on your system will do it every time with AVAST.  

Okay, there are 3 ways to remove McAfee....
1.  Look in the Programs folder for an Uninstall icon.
2.  Try using the Windows Add/Remove function in the Control Panel.
3.  You MAY even find an Uninstall app inside the McAfee Program folder. (I dont remember if they put one there).

McAfee is not hard coded, but rather comes as OE install.  It should come out rather nicely.

ME does take awhile to reformat but most reformats do take some time.  The main thing is that you did it successfully.  Congratulations!

Thank you for the kind remarks about Support.  The Avast Team....Moderators and Sr. Members such as myself do what we can to help solve the unexpected.

Good luck,
Techie  ;D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2003, 12:02:01 AM by techie101 »