Author Topic: Bug: Avast! Online Security blocks Facebook Comments Boxes and Sharing  (Read 4075 times)

heroxx

Hi

4 days ago I sent the mail below to bugs@avast.com, but I haven't received any answer, so now I post it here.
(I am only disclosing the mail address here, because the Avast website does so too here: http://www.avast.com/bug-bounty )

I haven't attached the 3 screen shots I mention below, because they are too big for this forum: "maximum total size 512KB". Each of them are about 800KB, and I don't know how to make 3 screen shots with a total size less than 512KB!?!?

------- Forwarded message follows -------
To: bugs@avast.com
Date sent: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:45:34 +0100
Subject: Avast! Online Security blocks Facebook Comments Box

Dear Avast

Until about 2-3 weeks ago I had no problems seeing the Facebook Comments Box at the bottom of all pages on my website www.Transformation.DK , but now they are not shown unless I Deactivate Avast! Online Security 9.0.2006.53 in Firefox v.25.0.1.
I have included 3 screen shots that shows all the Extensions and Plugins I have in Firefox.
The PC is an ASUS K53E laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I use the Avast! free antivirus and the ZoneAlarm free firewall.
Please tell me if you need any more information.

Best regards,
xxxx
------- End of forwarded message -------

1 day later I sent further information:

------- Forwarded message follows -------
To:   bugs@avast.com
Date sent:   Sun, 08 Dec 2013 23:50:49 +0100
Subject:   More info - (Fwd) Avast! Online Security blocks Facebook Comments Box

To Avast

In relation to the bug I reported below, I have found another Facebook-related function that does not work when the Avast! Online Security Extension is activated in Firefox 25.0.1. It's when I try sharing something on Facebook, at least on avaaz.org, for instance here (near the bottom of the page):
http://www.avaaz.org/en/no_champagne_for_monsanto_loc/?bPAIAcb&v=32217
That link only works when Avast! Online Security is Deactivated.

Best regards,
xxxx
------- End of forwarded message -------

Best regards,
Heroxx

Nbot

Re: Bug: Avast! Online Security blocks Facebook Comments Boxes and Sharing
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 03:25:20 PM »
I had this same problem initially. Not sure if it's a "bug" but the "fix" is on firefox, on the new Avast status icon that's installed now to the far right of the address bar, click on the status icon (you'll see a "number" in orange over the icon depending on which tab/page you are on).

This will bring up the "settings" Side Bar for ONLINE SECURITY. You can manually toggle off the "SOCIAL NETWORKS BLOCKED" slider button, or, click on the "Settings" button on the bottom of the side bar to bring up a new tab which will allow you to disable the blocking of Social Networks BY DEFAULT (so you don't have to manually disable the blocking on each page load).

Hit refresh or restart Firefox, Facebook comments on websites such as ESPN etc now work again.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 03:38:26 PM by Nbot »

heroxx

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 06:21:24 PM »
I had this same problem initially. Not sure if it's a "bug" but the "fix" is on firefox, on the new Avast status icon that's installed now to the far right of the address bar, click on the status icon (you'll see a "number" in orange over the icon depending on which tab/page you are on).

This will bring up the "settings" Side Bar for ONLINE SECURITY. You can manually toggle off the "SOCIAL NETWORKS BLOCKED" slider button, or, click on the "Settings" button on the bottom of the side bar to bring up a new tab which will allow you to disable the blocking of Social Networks BY DEFAULT (so you don't have to manually disable the blocking on each page load).

Hit refresh or restart Firefox, Facebook comments on websites such as ESPN etc now work again.

Thank you VERY much for this help. It works.

But I must admit that I am VERY shocked that Avast decides to sabotage all Facebook-related functionality on thousands - or hundreds of thousands - of websites WITHOUT even asking the user!
I feel that the Avast company is launching an attack on my website - and every other website in the world that make use of Facebook functions such as the Comments Box or sharing.
This kind of obstruction from Avast should not be legal, so I will have to look into possible ways to counteract this attack.

Best regards,
Henrik Rosenø

Nbot

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 06:11:59 PM »
Yes, I've ran into others having this same issue.

I'm not a tech guru, but I'm well "above average" and it even took me awhile to fix this.

I would imagine that tens of thousands of users are unable to figure out how to resolve it, essentially, Avast has "broken" the internet for many users I would imagine.

Between this, and the constant firewall issues I'm having with Firefox (I intermittently have to disable the firewall just to be able to load Pandora.com!) I'm really not loving the Avast 2014 rollout.