Author Topic: Webrep Icon in Firefox What is the orange digit?  (Read 1641 times)

tonyyates

Webrep Icon in Firefox What is the orange digit?
« on: December 12, 2013, 01:09:26 AM »
I use multiple browsers and the Webrep Icons are all a bit different.  From IE with just the Green A (IE8 on XP - IE11 on WIn7 may be different), or Chrome with the Grey A with a central coloured dot and finally Firefox with a Green A that gets an Orange digit at the lower left corner.  O.K. the Green A changes colour, but I have not seen a site to-day that isn't green.

This page has a 1, the support page has a 2 and a holiday booking page earlier to-day had a 3.  I have seen up to an 8 so far.  Also the digit often changes as a page loads, both increasing and decreasing in value, suggesting its counting third party links or cookies.

I thought that the digit counted blockages or etc., but after visiting several sites with different numbers and looking at the detail (click the icon) there is no apparent correlation between any numbers in the detail and the orange digit.

Asking support via the instant chat I got this "Hello Tony, it prohibits social networks gather information about you ... you can click on it and figure it out".

Well I cannot figure it out (the digit that is).  Their reply is applicable otherwise.  How to control Webrep isn't hard, there is plenty of feedback when you click anything.

propheticus

Re: Webrep Icon in Firefox What is the orange digit?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 02:37:40 AM »
It's a count of how many tracking scripts, social media and other privacy invading stuff has been detected. When you click the icon you see breakdown of the number of item found in each catagory. Quite self explanatory really...