Author Topic: *** INTRODUCING: NEW Avast 2014 "R2" RC (2014.9.0.2010)  (Read 81247 times)

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: *** INTRODUCING: NEW Avast 2014 "R2" RC (2014.9.0.2010)
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 04:29:25 PM »
Can someone make it clear:
Is the new Web shield (without proxy) working with all Windows OS versions (XP-W8)? Somewhere I remember I read that in W7, it was not available...

I think I can recall it being said that the new web shield scanning method wasn't supported in winXP (and possibly Vista), so would use the old redirection into the proxy. But memory can play tricks in what you thought you heard/saw.

DavidR,  I remember the same post so either our memory is fine or we both have problems. :)
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

jrace

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2013, 04:44:18 PM »

Does this one bring some light in here?

- We have finally fully rewritten the WebShield so that it now doesn't work as a "transparent proxy" anymore. I.e. no more routing of all HTTP traffic through the AvastSvc.exe process - which should hopefully result in no more conflicts with various firewalls (especially older firewalls that can't handle transparent proxies) and overall improvement in stability and performance. Besides that (and this is really exciting) it allows us to see and detect more threats (the original webshield had some limitations).
Many thanks,
Vlk

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2013, 07:24:30 PM »

Does this one bring some light in here?

- We have finally fully rewritten the WebShield so that it now doesn't work as a "transparent proxy" anymore. I.e. no more routing of all HTTP traffic through the AvastSvc.exe process - which should hopefully result in no more conflicts with various firewalls (especially older firewalls that can't handle transparent proxies) and overall improvement in stability and performance. Besides that (and this is really exciting) it allows us to see and detect more threats (the original webshield had some limitations).
Many thanks,
Vlk

No that wasn't it, it was specifically mentioning older OSes where the ability to use the new function isn't available/supported in the OS, rather than older firewalls. I can't find the post, but I think it may have been in the old 9.0.2009 beta topic which has disappeared.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2013, 07:30:42 PM »
I remember that as well, so you are not losing your marbles :) It was XP that used the old windows drivers 

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2013, 07:35:46 PM »

No that wasn't it, it was specifically mentioning older OSes where the ability to use the new function isn't available/supported in the OS, rather than older firewalls. I can't find the post, but I think it may have been in the old 9.0.2009 beta topic which has disappeared.
[/quote]

I believe you are correct, it was in the old 9.0.2009 betaTopic that was deleted/removed??. :-\

Offline drake127

• Avast team
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2013, 07:39:39 PM »
Is the new Web shield (without proxy) working with all Windows OS versions (XP-W8)? Somewhere I remember I read that in W7, it was not available...
Windows 7 and higher.

kjdemuth

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2013, 09:42:19 PM »
Anyone test to see if the new webshield works sandboxed with sandboxie?

happy avast user

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2013, 11:06:13 AM »
1. After installation of Avast 2014.9.0.2010 it took awhile to load and when Avast loaded it showed a red X and banner saying UNSECURED!.  After I rebooted everything is good and the start up scan started after reboot.

Therefore a reboot is recommended after install/update!

3. I have a small issue with Avast Online Security Settings, the issue I have is I put check marks in the following boxes:
I put a check mark in the block web analytics By default box and I also put a check mark in the Block others by default box.
However these setting are not remembered and every time I start up my computer and go on the internet I have to check mark the above mentioned boxes again.
On IE, AOS settings (denial of tracking) does not stayed; .................

You most likely have cookie cleaning enabled when browser is shut down or you are using a separate program (...CCleaner) to clean internet traces and cookies. Just make an exclusion for cleaning for the following cookie: aosbrowserpluginlocalstoragescope.com and the whole thing works!

Hi jrace, thank you so much for your reply I really appreciate:)

Please could you tell me where do I put aosbrowserpluginlocalstoragescope.com to exclude it from cleaning?

Thanks again.

happy avast user :)

dqdb

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2013, 03:20:18 PM »
"Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related."
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=140679.0

No changes using this build.

jrace

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2013, 06:05:41 PM »

Please could you tell me where do I put aosbrowserpluginlocalstoragescope.com to exclude it from cleaning?

Thanks again.

1. Firefox: open a web page to get the cookie, go to "Settings" (see picture "Firefox"), uncheck cookies if checked!
2. CCleaner: open "Settings" (see picture "CCleaner") mark the quested cookie and transfer it with the corresponding arrow in the middle from the left to the right side.
3. Internet Explorer: I am not familiar with that one but there must be also some kind of security setting where you can prevent cookie cleaning when closing the browser.
Good Luck!

seeker15

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2013, 07:05:59 PM »
3. Internet Explorer: I am not familiar with that one but there must be also some kind of security setting where you can prevent cookie cleaning when closing the browser.
Good Luck!

Tools> Internet Options> General > Browsing History> Uncheck 'Delete browsing history on exit.'
Or Tools > Internet Option> General > Browsing History > Delete > Uncheck 'Cookies and Website Data'

happy avast user

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2013, 08:18:37 PM »

Thanks again.

1. Firefox: open a web page to get the cookie, go to "Settings" (see picture "Firefox"), uncheck cookies if checked!
2. CCleaner: open "Settings" (see picture "CCleaner") mark the quested cookie and transfer it with the corresponding arrow in the middle from the left to the right side.
Good Luck!

Hi jrace, thank you so much for your help I was successful and it is working :).
I use CCleaner so I did as you suggested and saved the cookie thanks again :)

happy avast user

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2013, 08:24:53 PM »
Good Luck!

Tools> Internet Options> General > Browsing History> Uncheck 'Delete browsing history on exit.'
Or Tools > Internet Option> General > Browsing History > Delete > Uncheck 'Cookies and Website Data'

Hi Seeker, thank you so much for your reply and help I really appreciate it :)

jrace

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2013, 09:04:14 PM »

Hi jrace, thank you so much for your help I was successful and it is working :).
I use CCleaner so I did as you suggested and saved the cookie thanks again :)

You'r welcome, glad I could help!

seeker15

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2013, 09:39:34 PM »
Good Luck!

Hi Seeker, thank you so much for your reply and help I really appreciate it :)

My pleasure :)