Author Topic: Can restarts be avoided.  (Read 3559 times)

Nagan

Can restarts be avoided.
« on: December 22, 2013, 11:59:40 AM »
AVAST was all along cruising with the program updates without the restarting factor except for the past 3 or 4 times . These days it becomes quiet untenable , just gaping at a screen till it comes to life. Can AVAST consider the restart routine and make it adaptive in the same session , please.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Can restarts be avoided.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 12:04:53 PM »
Hm? Only updates that require system restart are Program Updates. All the others, VPS updates, Streaming Updates and Emergency Updates don't require immediate restarts, they either get applied in real-time or they get auto applied in the background when you restart the system on your own.

So, it would be very useful if you could take a screenshot of the popup that requests a restart from you. Seems weird that avast! would be doing this...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Nagan

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 12:51:45 PM »
I am talking about the program upgrade only. Those days AVAST never insisted restart on Program upgrade.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 02:47:41 PM »
I am talking about the program upgrade only. Those days AVAST never insisted restart on Program upgrade.

If you don't restart, you'll still be on the previous version until you reboot. The version number may change but until the reboots done, you're still on the version before the update.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Rohugh

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 03:05:26 PM »
How long does a restart take you?  Mine are about 90 seconds total,  it is worth a short wait to get up to date and program updates are not that frequent.

Nagan

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 03:21:41 AM »
How long does a restart take you?  Mine are about 90 seconds total,  it is worth a short wait to get up to date and program updates are not that frequent.
My Laptop is a PIA. It nearly takes 5 min to get functional, running Win 7 x 64 bit. No idea if there is an app which could trim out the unnecessaries and leave what is required..

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 07:59:23 AM »
I've no idea what a PIA is but to remove unnecessary programs in one simple swoop you can use PC Decrapifier  http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/home

jwoods301

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 08:33:57 AM »
My Laptop is a PIA. It nearly takes 5 min to get functional, running Win 7 x 64 bit. No idea if there is an app which could trim out the unnecessaries and leave what is required..

You might want to visit sysinternals.com and download the free Autoruns program.

Nagan

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 11:41:28 AM »

You might want to visit sysinternals.com and download the free Autoruns program.

I need more professional advice regarding the unnecessary services etc...

jwoods301

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 10:14:37 PM »

I need more professional advice regarding the unnecessary services etc...

The "professional advice" is if you don't know what something does, leave it alone. That said, BlackViper.com has published "recommended" configurations for Windows computers going back to XP and now includes 8.1

http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/

One of the features of the Autoruns program recommended above is the right-click Search Online option for an entry.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:25:52 PM by jwoods301 »

Nagan

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 02:08:32 AM »
Thank You. Will look into it...