Author Topic: Auto-updating AVAST  (Read 4664 times)

GhosTT

Auto-updating AVAST
« on: June 08, 2005, 06:35:11 AM »
Had to reinstall AVAST,

Low skill level,need advice at a basic level.

Need someone to talk me through setting up AVAST to....
Update daily and/or when PC is turned on.

MFB

Re: Auto-updating AVAST
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 06:39:30 AM »
Hmm, okay first run avast!>Click on Menu>Click Settings>click on update basics> mark both Virus Database and program to "Automatic"> click okay> and close avast!

That should do it. 

GhosTT

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 12:44:26 AM »
Thanks
 ;D

smorggle

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 01:55:21 PM »
Hi,

I had a problem with one computer on my network not connecting to the internet & in the end it was because remnants of Sygate were installed. I uninstalled Sygate and was immediately connected but now I can't get updates from Avast. I have a Netgear DG834G router with hardware firewall but can't see anything on that I would need to change. I've been over & over Avast settings but nothing works. I have automatic updates enabled and direct connection to internet. Any ideas?  ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 02:07:36 PM »
Does your router's hardware firewall provide outbound protection?

If so ensure that it allows avast.setup access to the internet.

If not you still need something to provide this protection or ET will be phoning home with your details or downloading more of the same.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

smorggle

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 09:12:56 PM »
Thanks,

My router's firewall settings seem to allow everything outbound  :o but block everything in  :o .  The message comes up that Avast can't see a server to download from (or similar).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 09:41:18 PM »
The message comes up that Avast can't see a server to download from (or similar).
Are you referring to an automatic (at logon time) update or a manual one?
Can you make a dial-up connection to test?
The list of update servers could be found in servers.def file in setup subdirectory under avast4 folder. There are the names of the servers, can you ping them, e.g.:
ping www.asw.cz
to see what you get?
The best things in life are free.