Author Topic: Telephone support run by scammers (Dec 2013)  (Read 5428 times)

evultrole

Telephone support run by scammers (Dec 2013)
« on: December 10, 2013, 08:48:02 PM »
I just had a customer come into my shop, telling me that when he spoke to the Avast tech support on the phone yesterday (Dec 9, 2013), he ended up with someone he described as having "that same foreign accent you hear from the computer company."

He was having problems downloading the avast installer file (it would hang at 99.8%). He had just purchased Avast Pro, couldn't download the file, so he called to get assistance. They required remote access to his computer, accomplished through some program downloaded in internet explorer (not windows remote assistance), pulled the "Look, the event viewer has a critical error!" crap, told him "All your driver files are corrupted" and tried to charge him $179 to "fix" it for him, with a one year guarantee that "it won't happen again". When he declined, they cleared the internet history, deleted the files, and wished him a good day before transferring him back to another person who told him he needed to purchase another copy of Avast pro to fix his problem.

He showed me the number he dialed, in his cell phone call history, and I can confirm that it is the avast number listed on their site.

This is a recurring problem with Avast, the antivirus is of high quality, but they keep hiring telephone support people who scam their customers. This is harmful to the image of Avast, and harmful to those of us who are tech professionals who have recommended avast to our customers.

Everyone should probably steer clear of the phone support until avast can assure everyone that they have fired their current phone support people.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Telephone support run by scammers (Dec 2013)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 09:14:38 PM »
Everyone should probably steer clear of the phone support until avast can assure everyone that they have fired their current phone support people.
the phone support is not done by avast.    :-[

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 09:24:58 PM »
It should be done by Avast itself.

But also the support of Kaspersky is not the best sometimes. ;)
Windows 10 1909, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1366 by 768 LCD Screen, Intel Core i3 5010U Dual Core, Intel HD Graphics 5500
HUAWEI P30 Pro. Android 10

propheticus

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 09:36:39 PM »
It's called outsourcing....Using Indians might be a cheap solution, but offers crappy service. You're not the only one complaining about these 'upselling' tactics too.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 09:38:21 PM by propheticus »

dprout69

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 09:39:56 PM »

Doesn't matter... they are working under Avast's name... Avast knows what they're doing and all the complaints about them... Avast knows they are bringing down their rating on the BBB... Avast fails to do anything about it...

ram1220

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 10:44:14 PM »

Doesn't matter... they are working under Avast's name... Avast knows what they're doing and all the complaints about them... Avast knows they are bringing down their rating on the BBB... Avast fails to do anything about it...

This is only one of the many reasons I won't recommend Avast anymore. Nor will I install it on any computers I fix or build.

evultrole

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 11:20:05 PM »

The assumption, when you go to http://www.avast.com/en-us/total-support, is that the telephone number on the site will connect you to someone who will not lie about problems that don't exist to try to sell you software. This endorsement of a company that is known to do these things IS done by avast. When I say "Fire their current phone support people" I mean "Get a contract with someone who won't lie to your customers to make an extra buck."

This would be very easy to do. Step one) No support for free products. Step two) hire a few people to man the phone lines. Step three) Support problems with Avast. Don't pretend to be a tech company, don't make things up about problems that don't exist. Support avast, and if something else is causing the problem, direct them to seek technical assistance from a qualified technician.

There was nothing wrong with my clients computer. The tactics performed by the person on the phone were identical to those done by the cold call scammers http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/10/i-am-calling-you-from-windows-a-tech-support-scammer-dials-ars-technica/, except instead of using the word "virus" they used the word "driver." This man had a brand new install of Windows 7, performed 2 days prior, by myself. There was absolutely nothing wrong with his PC, but the "avast" support refused to help him with the product he had paid money for unless he paid an additional $179. He requested a refund, brought it back to me to check out (nothing wrong with PC, downloaded copy of Avast Pro installed without a hitch), then asked me to install something from a "reputable company." He also called back later and said when he asked about his refund, they told him there was no record of the request.

The only problem this man had was that the CNET server was hanging at 99.8% download. That was all. Being directed to an alternate mirror would have solved his problem, it would have taken them 30 seconds to suggest that solution and have had a happy customer, but instead there was attempted fraud.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 11:34:50 PM »
Sorry to hear about these experiences. A pity really.

That is why we advise users that seek support to rather seek help here at the avast support forums.
Here the support is given by volunteers non-related to avast! And it always was and has been free.
We have several  trained qualified malware removers here (ASAP, unite, ASO).
We have some volunteers to help you check sites against website issues -  avast! malware detection, avast!website and IP blocks etc.
Sometimes avast team members react here and one can also mail to virus AT avast dot com.

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

cmstevens2

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 01:11:36 AM »
I had a problem w my laptop and called the avast support number. They got me for $179.00 because I'm not tech savy, although, I knew something wasn't right.  They transferred me to "Windows tech support", who took remote access of my computer and played around for about an hour, doing who knows what. Then they gave me a vip support number to call if I had any prob. or questions and suggested I call it at least once a month to let them check my computer. I hv no idea what they took off or put on my computer. "Carlos" from avast support had me pull up a reliability screen and showed me a graph of problems, then he had me pull up another screen and said it showed a list of probs. on my registry that avast couldn't fix. So, for $179.00 he wud trans. me to Windows Tech Support" and they wud fix it. This was a few days ago, and yesterday I get a call from country code 23 telling me that they were from "Windows Tech Support" and they showed that my computer was infected with a virus. He started telling me to click this key and that key, but I am savy enough to know that you don't let someone call and take ovr your computer. I told him to hangup and get off my phone. Cud "WTS" have given these actual "scammers" my phone number or cud they hv put something on my computer that allows the scammers to know when I'm online?
Needless to say, not very happy with avast right now!

ram1220

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 09:41:41 PM »
And just to let you all know it's not just Avast. A friend of mine who is not tech savy called Yahoo with an email problem. They connected him to one of these scam companies that took him for $300. He eventually got his money back with some help from me. Just a heads up.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 12:22:05 AM »
To lodge a complaint email either nekvapil(at)avast(dot)com  or  riley(at)avast(dot)com
Please include a detailed message using a responsible tone. Ranting never helps.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

circlingsky

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 05:42:13 PM »
This is scary!  From what I've read, Avast has contracted with a group of scammers who rip off Avast customers.  I really hope I've interpreted the situation incorrectly!!

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 08:53:43 PM »
No! avast did not "contracted" a group of scammers!
This is an ongoing issue. It was happening with the previous third party
support providers. The "hard sell tactics" ticks everyone off. And IMHO
should not be allowed. Period!

That is why I provided the email addresses to the people who oversee the
third party support.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

ram1220

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 09:57:31 PM »
No! avast did not "contracted" a group of scammers!
This is an ongoing issue. It was happening with the previous third party
support providers. The "hard sell tactics" ticks everyone off. And IMHO
should not be allowed. Period!

That is why I provided the email addresses to the people who oversee the
third party support.  :)

Well I'm sorry but this is exactly what Avast has done. Whether it was intentional or not I have no idea. But until Avast puts a stop to it or contracts with another company for support I have to agree they are allowing it to happen. Everyone just needs to be aware that the scams have occurred in the past and are still occurring. But thank you for the link to report such scam to Avast.