Author Topic: Program got by avast - launching ads on my computer  (Read 1731 times)

QuittingAvast

Program got by avast - launching ads on my computer
« on: December 13, 2013, 12:40:10 AM »
I'm having a problem where a piece of software I normally run is executing stuff in the background -- normally normal and I'm fine with it -- only recently it's started doing *very odd things*. It's decided to launch a browser window aimed at a commercial product. This isn't virus-formatting-my-drive fear, but something caused one of my programs to start launching this advertisement. And with Avast installed, no less. I found that disturbing, but girlfriend's birthday was still 2 days ago, so the issue sat a while, blah.

Well, I looked into it -- Found a few other people having the same problem, even some mentions in *this* very forum. And while it's nice to know I'm not the only one concerned? There's really a pathetically small outcry about the problem. Something AVast is actually *missing*...

Avast is failing to stop an executable from being modified to launch software/display advertisements. Basically what a virus would do, don't blame yourself if you assumed/made that "mistake". Trouble here? Is that the virus is *AVAST*, modifying itself with some of it's recent updates. Now it's launching Chrome on startup.

I've read a lot of other posts about this. A lot of people are pissed. And I'm one of them. But rather than dealing with ANY of the previously asked questions, discussion points, etc, I have one question I'm sorta DYING to know:

Just who the hell runs their browser out of their startup group? Since when has browsing the web been an on-reboot sort of thing? Load up skype so I can take calls, or load up some majickal daffodil that says positive life-affirming things from time to time, or whatever crap I feel an "always" need for. And while I like browsing and often do have a browser open? I run it myself so it loads (AND DRAINS SYSTEM RESOURCES) only when I want it. And it's Firefox. Assholes.

Advertisements are there so the MUNDANE folk know they have a choice? Oh. I've heard that before. Trouble is the mundane folk probably didn't know to go find AVast. Unless I or someone like me (the latter now, only) recommended it. How can I recommend a software to remove nasty lil' programs when it's BEING a nasty lil' program? *I WANT CHROME TO NOT LOAD EACH BOOT*. And until it plays along -- well, no, I've fought it for a few days. Found some solutions. Let's get to that.

Most of these pages are a bit facist about URL inclusion. So let's just say "Fred S" started a thread of "Avast Starts a link to Google Chrome". He's got the same problem. Frankly you mostly ignored his problem/were asses about it, which is why I don't usually ever let myself get involved in forums. I don't agree the chrome launch inherently "invades privacy" -- it could be streched to that, fine, but I still feel private at my computer. I just feel forced to load their crap/that's gotta go. Anywho, First guy says he uses a firewall for such issues. First guy doesn't get that his antivirus is still trying to load a browser, it's just being cut off/it's not happening. Why even *want* to send the request, let alone make effort to *stop it*? You found what we call a "workaround". Which sorta doubles as a solution. If you don't think about it too much. You haven't. Then we have folk that haven't seen it -- maybe it's only 1/10 of us because of the end of some serial number? Yanno, *I don't know*. I just know my brow-- er, no, SOME OTHER BROWSER NOT MINE is being hijacked to a site without the browser even originally open. He's got it, I've got it, If I were you I'd be cautious about program updates... And post less. Next guy? Don't use chrome as default. That's been off for a while. I think it's sorta screwy if any AV product really has a setting to use particular browser that then has to be turned off... But fine, they put that setting in there. And? I turned it off. Trouble is it doesn't do a damn thing. For the record I'd LOVE to at least see this forced nagware webpage load in firefox -- but nope, firefox is my default, Avast is set to NOT use chrome as default, and every bootup? I get chrome (Who picked it? I didn't load it. Avast isn't using it by default. Chrome doesn't even open itself....). If I hate chrome why don't I uninstall it? I will answer. But first explain to me how you merit life. The problem is AV software is loading ads, at all really, but in particular in this other browser. One which customizes it's UI, ruins my 2 monitor setup additional buttons for changing window, etc, that it *can't add to custom windows*, a browser I don't use. Why I have it is none of your damn business. But since you were rude enough to ask, I'll humor you. I like web design, any page you write *should* be tested in EVERY MAJOR BROWSER. Firefox, IE, Safari, Chrome, and fine, been slacking, I normally test in Opera too. Chrome, as screwed up as it is, is staying. And don't think chrome isn't a virus too, there's NO REASON to embed into the system task scheduler as deeply as it does. Oh, I hacked it out a LONG time ago. But is it still checking 2 times a day for browser updates? And 2 *more* times each week? No lie, one day it checks at *4* different times for an update. And adding ANY google software tries to restore the hacks on the updater that killed it. And they really do bury crap/try to make it difficult to kill. Anywho, post 8 was the golden one, 9's questionable -- guy may be right about turning off the self defense module to alter files, but I got a popup, presumably from that module, *asking* if I wanted to change the INI I edited... Whichever. Go read 8. Don't wanna cover it all here. Suffice Offers.ini located in Program Files/AVAST Software/Avast/Setup/ sounded *really* hopeful. only one problem, not so much the editing -- but -- I couldn't figure this one out -- WHY DON'T I HAVE THE FILE? XP maybe. Whatever. I went back a few folders, to Avast Software, the install's root -- I searched and found 4 or so ini files. One of them was setup.ini. It had some very interesting lines in it (Listed here, but they're NOT all the lines by any stretch):

ChromeStart=1
Chrome=0

I'd guessed that "Chrome=0" was defaulting to chrome, I'd turned that off, there it is, yay. Since I'm STARTING UP and getting CHROME, "Chromestart=1" -- awww, could it be that simple?

And it wasn't. These bastards don't even use their own settings file it seems.

It still launches chrome. There's no setting it. And that leaves only one solution. It's the same one used with Adaware back a while ago when it had a similar problem. Keep in mind I'm "the computer guy" -- so many folk's go-to for questions/solutions, and yes, software recommendations. And did anyone have the adaware problem? Essentially there was this lil' program popping up ads on my screen, Adaware didn't do anything to stop itSELF... Basically they forgot their mission, purpose, etc, they gave in to advertisers/cash, they contradicted themselves. Avast isn't *quite* as bad as an ad blocker that's popping up ads. But it is launching software that I don't want, it won't stop, that software is *bad* software. And me not wanting it is enough. Them telling me my wants don't matter, actually that's the more essential point. Well, whatever, let's update:

I will no longer recommend Avast to anyone.

I will have to contact my girlfriend, at least 3 coworkers, and numerous random-other-friends, some computer-buddies and others from non-computer life, and note I've changed my mind about recommending Avast. And why.

I am uninstalling Avast. Tonight. This crap's gotta go.

I am keeping Chrome. For all it's crap, I could at least find means to disable the crap. Now it's just a browser. Perhaps not updated in a while. Really I don't even test webpages that much. Suffice it's never made me test pages at all when I didn't want to, so I'm content on it hanging around for when I do call on it...

I will need a new antivirus. Been wondering why some of my computer buddies swear by AVG. Never tried it. If not? Dunno. But I have faith in them and they have faith in it and we'd never recommend something that's essentially nagware...

After so many years of service as my home AV product? You guys have been wonderful. And I hope google paid you well. Likewise, to hell with google and anyone who'd think they get to run something on my computer that I don't want. I'll remove their stuff from my computer before that continues.

I'm done, out, gone. Watch me wade thru 6 pages of signup *crap* to be able to post this. But I actually feel very strongly about a *good* AV product going so sour. You never, ever, *ever* push people's browser choices or load pages for them on startup. If you do? There's someone who doesn't -- we *WILL* find them. It's *MY* computer, *NEVER* forget that. Back when you were respectful you were welcomed on it...

Anywho, over our past, hugs. Bye tho.

PS: Wrote a similar post to adaware about their failures. They removed the post. If you've actually read all this? You probably didn't work for Avast. See how long the post survives. It's honest and not terrorism. Likewise, I'm not looking to chat or be troubleshot anymore. There's one simple fix and I never really liked orange much anyway...

marc-d-l

Re: Program got by avast - launching ads on my computer
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 01:18:37 AM »
Without any information whatsoever as to what your running on your pc,you can rant all you want and nothing or nobody is going to be able to help.

Offline Cast

Re: Program got by avast - launching ads on my computer
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 05:36:27 AM »
All I see is a wall of text complaining about something. I dont even understand what the op is trying to get across, because it doesnt flow very well for one and he keeps changing topic every so often whatever point he is trying to get across.