Author Topic: Full System Scan 0% - for hours  (Read 62213 times)

joey6505

Full System Scan 0% - for hours
« on: December 14, 2013, 05:59:42 PM »
Okay so now my firewall is running it seemed obvious to run a full system scan. However after the scan has been running for over 5 hours the progress is still on 0%. 'Processed file' is changing however apparently there has been no progress. I would like to ignore it but the other day I left my computer on for 7 hours scanning my computer and it was still on 0%.

Specifications of my pc - if it helps:

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHz
1TB Hard drive (800GB Used on the drive)
8GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz

If anyone could shed some light on this issue it would be great,

Thanks again guys.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 06:43:53 PM by Joe Cole »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Full System Scan 0% - for hours
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 06:27:23 PM »
Not knowing if it's an XP, Vista, Win7 or a W8, I will suggest you try a repair.

Control Panel>Uninstall a Program>double click "avast">click "repair">reboot  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

joey6505

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 06:43:15 PM »
Sorry should have said, im running windows 7 ultimate 64-bit Service pack 1.

I ran a repair earlier to get my firewall working and i've had the problem before and after the repair.

seeker15

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 06:59:38 PM »
7 hours?  :o Generally it wouldn't take that much time but do you have large number of files in your HDD? Or maybe you had your settings configured to scan whole files, with sensitivity set to high? Or the settings had been set to unpack all kinds of packers?

Can you confirm if your settings for Full System Scan looks like the following?

joey6505

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 07:06:21 PM »
Yeh, my settings look just like that, they are at the default.

I have over 1.6 Million files on my hard drive. But avast doesn't even hit 1% in 7 hours (I end up cancelling it). However I did a MalwareBytes scan yesterday and that took roughly 7 hours and worked.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 07:13:52 PM »
Your firewall was running? Isn't that the point in having a firewall?
Which version of avast, free, Pro, AIS or Premier?

Try a clean install...

Download and save aswclear
Download and save your choice...
Free
Pro
AIS
Premier

Run aswclear from above. You will be directed to reboot into safe mode, click "yes".
Reboot
Install avast choice from above
Reboot and register  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

seeker15

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 07:15:16 PM »
I have over 1.6 Million files on my hard drive. But avast doesn't even hit 1% in 7 hours (I end up cancelling it). However I did a MalwareBytes scan yesterday and that took roughly 7 hours and worked.

When you run Full System Scan for the first time, it usually takes long time because it stores data for the already scanned files in its persistence cache. Regarding avast not hitting 1% for long minutes/hours, I take it as a bug as it is same here. But the behaviour will not show the next time you run the scan because it does not scan twice if the file had already been scanned and not modified after the first scan.

Here, avast takes around 2 hours for first FSC and MBAM takes few minutes more. So, if MBAM took that much time in your case, then avast would take a little less. Reset your settings to default again (Settings> General > Settings Backup> Restore Settings) and run the scan once again.
Be patient for that much files especially if most of your files are huge as that significantly increases time.

joey6505

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 07:24:33 PM »
Okay, ill leave my computer overnight and see if it's done by morning :D

Thanks.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 07:45:01 PM »
@ ::Seeker::  The OP stated that even after seven hours avast still showed the scan stuck at 0%.
                      That alone points to something other than scan settings. That gave me good reason
                      to suggest a repair and since that failed the next logical step would be a clean install.

@ OP             The one thing I forgot to ask is, what other security software do you have now or ever had?
                      If uninstalled, how was it uninstalled? Also what are you using for a firewall?  ???

seeker15

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 07:50:10 PM »
But he said
'Processed file' is changing however apparently there has been no progress.
So, I thought lets give the application time to complete.

Repair/Clean install are good choice but I prefer messing around before going for that.
Good questions asked at last btw. Those two may be messing around with smooth functioning the AV.
Lets see.

joey6505

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 08:14:30 PM »
@ OP             The one thing I forgot to ask is, what other security software do you have now or ever had?
                      If uninstalled, how was it uninstalled? Also what are you using for a firewall?  ???

So currently my scan is on 16% :D and seems to be progressing as it should, it doesn't make much sense considering it stayed on 0% for hours the other day. Ive only ever used Avast as my antivirus and my firewall is the avast internet security firewall (windows one is disabled).

Now im more confused than ever - is avast being random xD?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 09:12:54 PM »
So currently my scan is on 16% :D and seems to be progressing as it should, it doesn't make much sense considering it stayed on 0% for hours the other day. Ive only ever used Avast as my antivirus and my firewall is the avast internet security firewall (windows one is disabled).

Now im more confused than ever - is avast being random xD?
No, avast is not being xD! I'm curious, did you reboot more than once after you did the repair?  ???

@ ::Seeker::  Too much messing around can lead to bigger issues.
                      And the fact that it was stuck at 0% gets me to thinking
                      if there was much more going on other than scan settings.

joey6505

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 09:22:11 PM »
Yes, I did reboot more than once. Seems odd that now its on 34% where as the other day it would still be on 0%.

seeker15

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 09:37:47 PM »
@ ::Seeker::  Too much messing around can lead to bigger issues.
                      And the fact that it was stuck at 0% gets me to thinking
                      if there was much more going on other than scan settings.

hmm.. that's true.
I make sure I start clean as far as possible and then if anything goes wrong, repair/clean install is irksome! So, I try the possible ways before attempting that. But that's how I work :p

Anyway, good to hear about Joe. His scan accelerated from 0 to 16% within few minutes  :D
Let us know how long it takes :P

joey6505

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 09:57:04 PM »
Will do, around 43% at the moment and has been going for about 4 hours or so?

I guess that means it will take roughly 7/8 hours in total.

Bearing in mind I have over 800GB of files (1.6 Million files roughly).