Author Topic: Blind user getting griefed by avast  (Read 3679 times)

eagle98

Blind user getting griefed by avast
« on: December 15, 2013, 12:30:40 AM »
Hello

I have installed avast for the first time on my computer, and it seems that I've also got the trial pro version.

There is a big problem with my computer now. port 8080 seems to be blocked, and I can't connect to apple servers with my computer. (iTunes does not work at all, I can't connect to it).
I redownloaded iTunes with my other laptop, but it still cannot connect when I try this with my PC.

I wan to uninstall avast. now, avast self-defence module does not turn off. (I uncheck it in the settings and press ok, but it turns back on)
I can't remove it from add or remove program, the progress bar just gets stock then the uninstaller closes.

The only way to remove avast is to remove it with the avast remover tool in the safe mode. I can't work in the safe mode, because my ScreenReader does not work in safe mode.
I'm visually impaired and I work w/ windows with a ScreenReader. unfortunetly i'm not going to get sighted help for a weak or more.
Am I going to be blocked from iTunes for ever because I can't just uninstall avast?

Any solutions :'(

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Blind user getting griefed by avast
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 12:33:41 AM »
Editing post... can't seem to delete the post.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 12:38:28 AM by Alikhan »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 12:37:28 AM »
I wouldn't understand why self defence wouldn't disable, have you rebooted the PC?

If that works, download:

Avastclear : http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe

If that doesn't work, try to run avastclear in normal mode...

If that fails... run this in normal mode:

Rejzors Uninstall tool: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=94a12102e5094675&id=94A12102E5094675%21952&authkey=!AHu_KR3cJN1jHt4

Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 12:42:10 AM »
Just so there's no confusion, Avastclear.exe will reboot your computer into SafeMode to execute will it not. :)

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 12:43:39 AM »
Just so there's no confusion, Avastclear.exe will reboot your computer into SafeMode to execute will it not. :)

The screen reader he/she has does not support safe mode. I don't think safe mode allows sound.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 12:46:06 AM »

The screen reader he/she has does not support safe mode. I don't think safe mode allows sound.

Ah, yes I stand corrected. ::)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 01:00:46 AM »
Eagle, you say you installed avast for the first time.
Do you have another av (or security) software installed?
Did you had one installed and if so did you removed it?
If so, how?

eagle98

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 10:00:01 AM »
I wouldn't understand why self defence wouldn't disable, have you rebooted the PC?

If that works, download:

Avastclear : http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe

If that doesn't work, try to run avastclear in normal mode...

If that fails... run this in normal mode:

Rejzors Uninstall tool: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=94a12102e5094675&id=94A12102E5094675%21952&authkey=!AHu_KR3cJN1jHt4
I don't understand this neither. it just keeps getting ticked when i reopen the settings window.
I tried the tool that you linked in the skydrive. ran it as admin. the scripts seemed to be correctly executed, though avast didn't get deleted.

Eagle, you say you installed avast for the first time.
Do you have another av (or security) software installed?
Did you had one installed and if so did you removed it?
If so, how?

Yes. I had microsoft security essentials. i uninstalled it from add or remove programs (regular uninstaller), and ran a registry clean with Ccleaner, before installing avast.