Author Topic: Annoying Christmas Ad and popups on Avast Internet Security  (Read 20320 times)

flimawpi2014

Annoying Christmas Ad and popups on Avast Internet Security
« on: December 14, 2013, 11:28:36 PM »
Hi,

There is a big Christmas ad on the main (home) Avast window and a smaller one that keeps popping up.

Can anyone help me get rid of those?  I´ve tried everything i can imagine, but nothing works.

As I´ve paid for a license, Avast should´ve asked me if I wanted to see them, and not simply force me to do so.

I need to be able to stop all ads and not lose the other alerts and popups related to threats,

thanks.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 05:44:46 PM by flimawpi2014 »

olddog

Re: Annoying Christmas Ad and popups on Avast Internet Security
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 11:35:21 PM »
There is a big Christmas ad on the main Avast window and a smaller one that keeps popping up.

Not seeing any Christmas advert on the main (home) Avast GUI screen here.  Any chance you could post a screen shot.

Rohugh

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 11:41:33 PM »
Yeah a screenshot would be good as I haven't seen any Christmas ads either - in fact I never see any ads ....... I am feeling left out.   :(

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 11:45:14 PM »
Are you sure it's not a VPS update? There's a bug that instead of an update notification, a random ad appears.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

reisender67

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 11:48:00 PM »
Hi,

There is a big Christmas ad on the main Avast window and a smaller one that keeps popping up.

Can anyone help me gid rid of those?  I´ve tried everything i can imagine, but nothing works.

As I´ve paid for a license, Avast should´ve asked me if I wanted to see them, and not simply force me to do so.

I need to be able to stop all ads and not lose the other alerts and popups related to threats,

thanks.

Hello,

+1

here is a screenshot.

On a paid Version this is unacceptable.

Greetings
Christian

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 11:49:17 PM »
Now that's strange... I've never seen an ad in the paid version on the UI.  :o
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

reisender67

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 11:49:40 PM »
And here is the popup

olddog

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 11:49:47 PM »
Are you sure it's not a VPS update? There's a bug that instead of an update notification, a random ad appears.

Yes, but that's an obvious pop up. The OP specifically talks about "a big Christmas ad on the main Avast window"

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 11:51:15 PM »

Yes, but that's an obvious pop up. The OP specifically talks about "a big Christmas ad on the main Avast window"

Well, the popup could be specific or not... it's still a bug.

reisender67

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 11:53:30 PM »

Hi,

have you seen my first post. I think that's big.

Greetings
Christian

olddog

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 11:58:28 PM »

Yep, that is certainly a big Christmas advert on the main page. Maybe what one gets in that area depends on which country you are in.

reisender67

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 12:03:08 AM »
Hi,

maybe. But I have paid for the program and I want to decide if I see advertising.

Greetings
Christian

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 12:03:58 AM »

Hi,

Greetings
Christian

Ah, my mistake. Misread it and just saw the screenshot. That being said, I've never seen ads on a paid version on the UI.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 12:20:31 AM »
Well, I have avast pro (2014.9.0.2010) and also get the pop-ups as well as the Christmas offer in the main gui :-(
And I really don't want either of them.
Lately it looks like avast is "pushing" paid things to earn (more) money.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 12:22:07 AM by Eddy »

propheticus

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 12:58:41 AM »
Try going to settings -> appearance -> scroll down to "community features" and disable them both.

I'm not seeing any ads (or recommendations as Avast calls them) on my home screen since I did this.
Strange IS users should disable ads... a paid product, unless you partake in the recommendation program.