Author Topic: Annoying Christmas Ad and popups on Avast Internet Security  (Read 20319 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Annoying Christmas Ad and popups on Avast Internet Security
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2013, 01:14:44 AM »
@    flimawpi2014

What appears in the avast free version Home page is entirely different, there are periodic ads in there and that has been the same from avast 8 versions and possibly avast 7.

The tiny toaster style popups similar to that you attached is all to do with the screwed update notification.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 01:17:00 AM »
Intriguing as since the last beta I have had a normal update, voice and popup..  No advert type stuff

I do have the community features disabled ...

More luck than anything else as the community settings are totally unrelated. I have had them off from when they were first introduced.

I have been getting the regular auto update notification on occasion, but when I think it has been resolved it got down the pan again incorrect popup, no voice over and popup duration doesn't work.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Martin71

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2013, 06:00:34 PM »
Hi,

There is a big Christmas ad on the main Avast window and a smaller one that keeps popping up.

Can anyone help me gid rid of those?  I´ve tried everything i can imagine, but nothing works.

As I´ve paid for a license, Avast should´ve asked me if I wanted to see them, and not simply force me to do so.

I need to be able to stop all ads and not lose the other alerts and popups related to threats,

thanks.

Hello,

+1

here is a screenshot.

On a paid Version this is unacceptable.

Greetings
Christian
Same GUI as I have (but then in Dutch). I agree, it's not acceptable in a paid version of avast! (!).

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2013, 07:12:04 PM »
This looks like another glitch as I have not received any ads at all.  Neither in popups or the main screen

Martin71

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2013, 07:41:35 PM »
This looks like another glitch as I have not received any ads at all.  Neither in popups or the main screen
Lucky you I suppose bugs like these are communicated with avast! ?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2013, 07:43:42 PM »
Yes they are aware.  However, how far into the fix they are I do not know.. 

Martin71

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 07:58:20 PM »
Yes they are aware.  However, how far into the fix they are I do not know..
Ok. I am very glad with this lively and helpful forum   
Sure beats that dreadful helpdesk in India (or where ever they are)

dannyg

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2013, 12:03:11 AM »

I'm also getting the same ads. I've paid for this product and i should be not be seeing any ads, or else i want my money back.

sandeep108

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2013, 06:48:01 AM »
I am also getting the same ads in the Pro version. I have unchecked the community / social features. This is extremely unprofessional of avast. It has been happening exactly as the OP said and is ongoing since last few days.
I paid so I don't get ads or popups.

Martin71

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2013, 11:02:37 AM »
I am curious as to how the fix is coming along. Now I get serveral times a day that annoying and ridiculous offer. And as explained before, unchecking the "show social networking features" as suggested won't work as they are piggybacked to the auto update notifications. The only way to get rid of them would be to uncheck the auto update notifications, reducing the duration of the popups won't work either as it doesn't appear to work as it used to (so another bug).

NoelC

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2013, 05:22:06 PM »
...The only way to get rid of them would be to uncheck the auto update notifications...
Which also seems to work with the free version, once one gets the setting change to stick (which I had to work all day yesterday to accomplish).

Perhaps it's a bit early to say the ads are eliminated, though...  I haven't seen an ad pop up since yesterday afternoon.  Perhaps a bit more fishing is required before proclaiming the lake is free from fish...

-Noel

flimawpi2014

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2013, 07:21:16 PM »
...The only way to get rid of them would be to uncheck the auto update notifications...
Which also seems to work with the free version, once one gets the setting change to stick (which I had to work all day yesterday to accomplish).

Perhaps it's a bit early to say the ads are eliminated, though...  I haven't seen an ad pop up since yesterday afternoon.  Perhaps a bit more fishing is required before proclaiming the lake is free from fish...

-Noel

In the paid version, the popus seem to have stopped with the auto update notifications unchecked, but the big ad in the home screen is still there.

It says almost the exact same thing the popup says.

Every time I have to use Avast (paid version), this is what I see, even with the auto update notifications unchecked.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 07:38:30 PM by flimawpi2014 »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2013, 07:33:55 PM »

I'm also getting the same ads. I've paid for this product and i should be not be seeing any ads, or else i want my money back.

If you had read the entire thread you would know it's an ongoing glitch.
A glitch I hope avast fixes. As stated before they should be about vps updates.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2013, 07:36:57 PM »
<snip quotes>
In the paid version, the popus seem to have stopped with the auto update notifications unchecked, but the big ad in the home screen is still there.

Every time I have to use Avast (paid version), this is what I see, even with the auto update notifications unchecked.

<snip image>

The auto update notifications popups are unrelated to what appears in the UI (other than if it happened to be offering the same thing), so unchecking the auto update notifications will have no effect on the UI.

I'm somewhat surprised that these offers are appearing in the paid options. I guess it is a difficult choice, do avast let users know of offers that could save on renewal costs or not.

I get them in the free version and is expected. But in all honesty when they are there I rarely notice them as I don't sit with the UI open and I probably spend more time opening the UI for screenshots in the forums. Now the current offer 66% savings may be attractive for some free users, but I don't know if this is the same offer posted by flimawpi2014.

flimawpi2014

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2013, 07:48:16 PM »
<snip quotes>

<snip image>

The auto update notifications popups are unrelated to what appears in the UI (other than if it happened to be offering the same thing), so unchecking the auto update notifications will have no effect on the UI.

I'm somewhat surprised that these offers are appearing in the paid options. I guess it is a difficult choice, do avast let users know of offers that could save on renewal costs or not.

I get them in the free version and is expected. But in all honesty when they are there I rarely notice them as I don't sit with the UI open and I probably spend more time opening the UI for screenshots in the forums. Now the current offer 66% savings may be attractive for some free users, but I don't know if this is the same offer posted by flimawpi2014.

I just dont understand how they can be unrelated and say almost the exact same thing.

Just one more time, for those who cant remember, that´s what they say.

the home screen says:
Christmas offer.
Get our maximum security package for a ridiculously low price!
valid until December 26th, 2013.
know more.

the popup says:
Christmas offer.
Get our maximum security package for a ridiculously low price!
know more.