Author Topic: Avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497  (Read 18320 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 01:53:54 PM »
The mess is that it is updating 8.0.1497 automatically even though i explicit do NOT want it. Have tried it several times...  >:(
Do you mean 8.0.1497 is espontaneously upgrading to avast! 2014?

Same Problem again!!! No download possible. I DO NOT WANT THIS ...
Which download you can't finish?
The best things in life are free.

Verkor

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 11:38:01 AM »
Do you mean 8.0.1497 is espontaneously upgrading to avast! 2014?

Exact same problem here...

Verkor

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 12:12:54 PM »
OAKY, after 3 hours I finally found what the problem is.

You have to download 8.0.1489, do NOT download 8.0.1497 or anything after 8.0.1489 from oldapps.com for anything after 8.0.1489 is actually avast 2014!

thekochs

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 06:04:11 PM »
The mess is that it is updating 8.0.1497 automatically even though i explicit do NOT want it. Have tried it several times...  >:(
Same Problem again!!! No download possible. I DO NOT WANT THIS ...

Make sure to go into Settings and in UPDATES change the program update to MANUAL.....I think default is to ask you but seems with all the changes there are times people awake to see their machine rebooted to latest version (2014).  I'm on W7.....hate W8....and I am waiting for Avast 2014 to get more solid.....it is BETA software at best.  I don't want to bail on Avast...like most been using them for years but the change from V8 to V9 reminds me of the AVG change to their V9 (funny coindence) and it bricked thousands of PCs....and the version was plagued with terrible errors and it took them year+ to fix and they lost over half their customer base...me included.  My take is they companies try to get bigger and be more things to more people to generate $$$...they buy small companies with software and want to integrate those utils.....all of a sudden what was once a great product becomes bloat-ware.  There are tons of examples in this industry....for A/V just look to Norton to Symantec (worst piece of junk software out there).  The DVD burner guys are probably the best examples of these type of efforts.

I'm in "wait" mode on 2014.....reading this forum daily to see the problems and resolutions....most now are to "turn off" features.  I can tell you when I finally do upgrade it will be done with most features uninstalled with the baseline (whatever I can determine that to be) Avast A/V left.  Anyway, have not given up on the Avast guys....but I just don't have time to be BETA tester....it is one thing for an A/V to not catch every virus or malware, etc....it is another for machines not work right because of the software's intrusion.