Author Topic: Avast security extension causing script issues with Firefox  (Read 15670 times)

philly12

Avast security extension causing script issues with Firefox
« on: December 16, 2013, 05:49:49 AM »
I was having issues with unresponsive script when searching on Google with firefox, and I found that someone else had the same issue and informed Mozilla about it.

The unresponsive script mentions: "chrome:/wrc/content/common/scripts/bal.js:854"

Mozilla support is blaming the issue on Avast's extension.
Here is the the Mozzila support link: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/979446

Is Avast! working on a fix?

Thanks.

olddog

Re: Avast security extension causing script issues with Firefox
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 06:34:15 AM »
I was having issues with unresponsive script when searching on Google with firefox, and I found that someone else had the same issue and informed Mozilla about it.

The unresponsive script mentions: "chrome:/wrc/content/common/scripts/bal.js:854"

Mozilla support is blaming the issue on Avast's extension.
Here is the the Mozzila support link: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/979446

Is Avast! working on a fix?

You could try the latest beta (RC2) version and see whether that helps.

If you look through the forum you will find the AOS extension seems to have caused issues for  a lot of users, and many of us have disabled or completely removed it. If you remove or disable it, you are still protected by the Web shield.

philly12

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 10:44:59 PM »
Thank you for the reply. I originally thought that disabling the AOS extension might mess up the web shield (and now I see that it does not). I will do that for now (but still hold out hope for a fix, since I like AOS overall).

Thanks again :)

CathyVer

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 01:41:40 AM »
I have the unresponsive script issue with bal.js:854 when I am in gmail. I click website links in my email to identify content for my monthly inventors newsletter. I do not recall having this problem last month when I did the newsletter. I use Firefox. I removed Chrome from my computer because I do not want it. Please explain what I need to do to eliminate this message. I do not understand the response given to the individual who started this thread. My computer is an Acer Aspire One with Windows 7 installed. Firefox is my browser. Direct email response would be appreciated to cathyvers at gmail. If you need more information from me on my hardware or software, please let me know. Thank you!

ANdy_P

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 10:14:23 PM »
Is Avast working on a fix for this issue?

My specs: WinXP SP3, Firefox 25.0.1. Regular freezes on simple web browsing (such as Google searches) with the message about Script: chrome://wrc/content/common/scripts/bal.js:854 not responding and 100% CPU loading

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 10:35:12 PM »
Update your Firefox! The latest build is v26.0.
Also are you using avast v2014.9.0.2011?

I"m not having any issues with FF v26.0

You can update FF either through their GUI or from here.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

jechad22

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 06:23:09 PM »
I also have the script problem using Gmail with Firefox. I have the latest Firefox V26 and I downloaded the latest version of Avast. The add ons mgr says I have enabled Avast! Online Security 9.0.2013.75.  I think this last looks backleveled, but I just downloaded and installed the latest Avast! and rebooted. Is there a way to check this version of the add on?

John

freak777

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 11:11:18 AM »
new build,same problem not fixed.
FF and IE takes aeons when opens sites and pictures.i don't wanna disable Avast web extension.if i disable extensions,pages load correctly.if i want to search for an image with google images,pages takes aeons for loading,with AOS on,if i disable it,searches works well.when this BIG issue will be fixed?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 11:13:35 AM by freak777 »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 05:42:04 PM »
Personally I don't use the AOS. I use PrivDog (it does the same thing).
Have you updated avast to v2014.9.0.2013?
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

freak777

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 07:34:03 PM »
Personally I don't use the AOS. I use PrivDog (it does the same thing).
Have you updated avast to v2014.9.0.2013?
yes,it is 2014.9.0.2013
why Avast don't fix this BIG issue?
Avast having the plugin web protection ,but if using it causes this problem this is useless!it can remove it,if it useless and make slow browsing and crashes of IE!

mrsfiddlegirl

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 07:01:33 PM »
I was getting the same error, and I noticed "chrome" in the error message. I don't have chrome on my computer. I found something that worked for me. Open up AVAST. Click on "Settings". Click on "Troubleshooting" Put a check mark on "Do not use Chrome as my default browser".  BOOM! No more hangups, freezing or slow loading.