Author Topic: Latest version not at all working with 3rd party firewall  (Read 1428 times)

UliBaer

Latest version not at all working with 3rd party firewall
« on: December 18, 2013, 04:29:39 AM »
Hello,

i'm a long time user of avast *free* and never had real problems, but i now had to register to complain about the latest version.

So here is the story:
My system is Win XP pro SP3 and i use a relatively old firewall from Kerio version 2.1.5. I only use the file system and the mail filters in avast, nothing else! Until the update to version x.2008 of avast this combination was working really fine. Since the upgrade to version x.2008 i had to *totally disable* my firewall to get anything regarding networking to function.

What i've done so far:
Completely uninstalled and reinstalled avast ( BTW: Thanks for spamming my system with chrome although i *un*checked to install that cr*p! :( )

I hoped, the upgrade to version x.2011 would fix this, but no, it didn't fix it. If i turn on my firewall, the only thing i can do is mailing with my mail program. Every other internet traffic is blocked. I even can't reach my router via browser. Even "ping" doesn't work. If i disable my firewall, everything returns to normal, but this situation is not acceptable - sorry!

I'm deeply disappointed after more than five years of use...

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Latest version not at all working with 3rd party firewall
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 08:29:59 AM »
Well using such an outdated firewall isn't going to help you in any way, why not use a more modern and better optimised firewall like Comodo, Online Armor or PrivateFirewall which are all free.

Other than upgrading your firewall you might try doing a clean reinstall of both avast and your firewall and provide mutual exclusions between both programs, also why are you not using the avast webshield :o that's your first line of defence.

jwoods301

Re: Latest version not at all working with 3rd party firewall
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 11:25:09 AM »
+1 for the COMODO Firewall.

I have been running it (firewall only) with avast! for quite a while and have had no issues between the two.