Author Topic: When I start my computer I get an error about aswFsBlk service failed to start.  (Read 17537 times)

crofty59

Uninstalled through Add and Remove
Rebooted
Error still in Event viewer
Used avastclear in Safe Mode
Rebooted
Error no longer in event viewer
Reinstalled Avast.
Rebooted
No longer get the error, all is good.

Still got Pro version to update, will only do a clean install as last resort. Once before after a clean install I had trouble with avast registering my pro licence . does not expire to 2015.

Hopefully will get a response from Avast.

Cheers :) 

jwoods301

The issue seems to be caused by a missing aswFsBlk.sys file in Windows\System32\Drivers.

I looked in the update log and noticed that's where it was supposed to be installed. It also resides in Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\setup\INF.

Unfortunately, copying it into the Drivers folder (after restarting Windows XP in Safe Mode) does not fix the issue.

I rolled my system back from a 12/16 backup, and aswFsBlk.sys was in the Drivers directory for v2008.

Probably another install script issue (the first being the SSL email certificate being removed for Thunderbird 24.2.0) that should be looked at by the install team.

Seems to be isolated to Windows XP. I did not experience either issue installing v2011 on a Win 7 Home Premium laptop.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:52:28 AM by jwoods301 »

crofty59

A very informative reply, Thanks jwoods301 :)

A clean install fixed it for me, just rebooted again just to check. all good

Cheers

Gene54

I have at least three machines (I haven't checked the others yet!!) all showing this problem in their event log. So, from what I'm seeing here my only option is to spend hours uninstalling and reinstalling Avast on each one?

Thanks Avast, like all I have to is spend my time fixing what should have been caught BEFORE the update was released!!!

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
I have at least three machines (I haven't checked the others yet!!) all showing this problem in their event log. So, from what I'm seeing here my only option is to spend hours uninstalling and reinstalling Avast on each one?

Thanks Avast, like all I have to is spend my time fixing what should have been caught BEFORE the update was released!!!
Running a repair should fix the problem.

Gene54

Just did a repair and the error is still there.

Also, both "Program" and Engine & Definitions" updates start, but are not downloading anything. So more fun, figuring out if its your servers or something else that was broken.

Oh and one more thing, has anybody noticed all the user added exclusions are now gone?

Normally I would just laugh and call this type of thing as job security. But I recommended Avast, so my management perceives I own this mess and a reflection on my competency.

Offline drake127

• Avast team
On build 2011 you can delete registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aswFsBlk.

Offline EmoHobo

On build 2011 you can delete registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aswFsBlk.
and that's safe to do?

Offline drake127

• Avast team
Yes, we removed aswFsBlk from 9.0.2011 but it seems that it didn't get deleted for you (file got deleted but registry key didn't).

Offline EmoHobo

So what exactly do I delete?

The entire "folder" on the left side of the Registry for awsFsBlk found at the location you said or a specific file?

Offline drake127

• Avast team
You can delete entire "folder" (key). If you are not comfortable with that, you can also set "Start" value in this folder to "4" and revert it back if you encounter some issues.

Offline EmoHobo

I got an error when attempt this.

"Cannot Delete aswFsBlk: Error While Deleting Key"

Do I need to turn off the self defense module?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Do I need to turn off the self defense module?

Yep.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline EmoHobo

Just did that, checked the error console and it didn't return this time on restart and everything is running fine now, so I think this fixed the issue.

crofty59

I ended up doing a clean install with the pro version as well.
Should have checked here first. Ah Well,  all is now working :)